George D. Smith is a Member in Stoll Keenon Ogden’s Lexington office and has been with the firm since 1999. He is part of the Bankruptcy & Financial Restructuring practice, as well as the Equine and Real Estate practice groups.
Among the highlights of his work at SKO is his success in representing a major secured creditor in a Chapter 9 proceeding, the first substantive filing of its kind in Kentucky.
Before joining SKO, George practiced in commercial litigation. He was also a special fund attorney for the Kentucky Department of Labor and a Hearing Officer for the Kentucky Workers’ Compensation Board.
George is a veteran who served in the U.S. Army Reserve from 1971-1977 and received a discharge at the rank of Staff Sergeant.
Bankruptcy & Financial Restructuring: For community banks throughout Kentucky, George handles all aspects of credit transactions and complex loan workouts. He frequently represents both secured and unsecured creditors in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Chapter 7 and Chapter 11 proceedings.
Equine: Building on an SKO tradition, George assists all types of entities in the equine industry, including thoroughbred and standardbred auction companies, stallion farms and boarding farms. He has substantial knowledge of equine law, particularly in the area of liens and litigation. He has been called upon to speak at seminars on the matter and routinely shares his expertise with clients and colleagues.
Real Estate: George provides a full scope of services relating to the planning and zoning of commercial real estate. He draws on his experience in banking law to provide representation of lenders and borrowers in financing real estate transactions and documenting loans.
- University of Kentucky College of Law 1975, J.D.
- University of Kentucky 1971, B.A.
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of Kentucky
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Western District of Kentucky
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 6th Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Kentucky
- American Bar Association
- Kentucky Bar Association, Equine Law Section, Secretary, 2017-present
- Fayette County Bar Association
- CURE KY Kids, board of directors
- First United Methodist Church, member
Rate : $$$