George W. (“Trey”) Tate III is a Florida Bar Board Certified Attorney in construction law, which is achieved through the highest level of competency and experience within construction law, skilled in both contract preparation and complex construction litigation.
He handles construction contract negotiating and preparation on projects of all scale and type, from single family luxury homes and multi-family projects to horizontal and vertical projects on the multibillion dollar “Medical City” project at Lake Nona.
Mr. Tate handled, among other current projects, the original design and construction and multi-party project agreements to commence Medical City, including the Sanford-Burnham deal, and continues to advise Tavistock Development Company on the design and construction of numerous projects in the Lake Nona area including the recently completed USTA complex and Lake Nona Towncenter, which is currently under construction.
He is adept at advising clients on all aspects of contract negotiating and drafting, including delivery methods such as construction management at risk and design-build, and regularly advises clients on myriad issues that arise in active construction projects on a daily basis.
He also concentrates in complex construction litigation with a special emphasis on delay claims, construction defect claims, payment disputes, lien and bond claims, and bid protests for his construction clients.
As Deputy District Attorney for the County of Los Angeles, he tried nearly 30 cases to jury verdict along with conducting numerous bench trials. In this capacity he spent nearly every day in court, conducting hundreds of hearings and questioning thousands of witnesses.
With a caseload of over 3,000 cases per year, he developed strong negotiating skills, which he currently uses to achieve success for his clients during mediations and settlement conferences.
- Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law, JD (1999)
- Princeton University, BA, Politics (1996)
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- Served as counsel to the Greater Orlando Aviator Authority assisting in the day-to-day management of issues arising on the construction of the airport’s multibillion-dollar South Terminal expansion including its construction of the new Intermodal Transportation
- Previously assisted a large general contractor client in handling numerous lien and payment bond issues that arose when a major subcontractor failed on a high-rise condominium project, achieving a favorable resolution of all claims for his client
- Assisted a hotel developer in a payment dispute with the general contractor, successfully defeating the contractor’s claim in arbitration and also obtaining a favorable ruling on the developer’s claim
Community : Co-chair, Central Florida Region, Princeton University Alumni Schools Committee
Rate : $$$