George Soumalevris’s experience includes complex domestic and international disputes and investigations, and general corporate and financing transactions. Currently, he focuses on high-stakes bankruptcy and commercial mortgage-backed securities (CMBS) litigation, and Chapter 15 and foreign insolvency proceedings, an area in which he has been able to leverage his transactional experience.
George’s role in these matters includes researching and drafting motions, assisting in discovery and deposition preparation, analysis of restructuring plans, and coordination with financial advisors.
George has lived and worked extensively in Greece, Belgium, and France, and is a native speaker of Greek. He has passed Level I of the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Program and has served in the Greek military.
- Advising a hedge fund and its affiliates in Chapter 15 proceedings related to an application by debtors for recognition of insolvency proceedings in the Cayman Islands.
- Defending collateral manager and its affiliates in breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty dispute with issuer of collateralized debt obligation (CDO) in federal court.
- Representing publicly traded manufacturing firm in refinancing transaction, enabling on-time financing and helping averting company’s default.
- Representing Chinese mining companies in investment arbitration against North Asian State.
- Defending European chemical manufacturer in Brazilian trade investigation targeting multi-million-dollar exports of same manufacturer to Brazil.
- LL.M. Georgetown University Law Center 2009
- LL.B. National & Kapodistrian University of Athens, School of Law 2005
Bar Admissions : New York, District of Columbia
Professional Memberships : New York State Bar Association
Rate : $$$$