Gerald E. Arth’s practice encompasses all forms of complex commercial litigation on behalf of both plaintiffs and defendants, with an emphasis on : insurance insolvency, business divorce, fraud and civil racketeering, corporate and partnership governance, securities and financial services, health care, real estate.
Jerry has tried and arbitrated cases and argued matters in federal and state courts throughout the country and counsels business clients on a wide range of issues. Jerry is the past chair of Fox Rothschild’s Electronic Discovery Committee.
At Villanova Law School, Jerry was a member of the Moot Court Board and a finalist in the prestigious Theodore S. Reimel Moot Court Competition. Following law school, Jerry served as a judicial law clerk to the Hon. Joseph T. Doyle, the former President Judge of the Commonwealth Court of Pennsylvania.
Jerry has published a number of articles in legal publications and lectured on a variety of topics including class action defense, TCPA, electronic discovery, the Sarbanes-Oxley Act, RICO and civil procedure. He is active in Democratic politics, particularly at the local and state levels.
Representative Matters :
- representation of Pennsylvania Insurance Department in connection with numerous insurance insolvencies, most notably Reliance Insurance Company and Summit National Life Insurance Company, handling dozens of cases leading to recovery of tens of millions of dollars on behalf of insurers’ estates from officers and directors, auditors, attorneys, defaulting agents and policyholders
- defense of nationwide TCPA and FDCPA class action against leading debt collection company, resulting in striking of all class allegations, dismissal of claims against deep-pocket parent company, and de minimis settlement of individual plaintiff’s claims
- defense of nationwide consumer class action against computer software company, resolving tens of thousands of potential claims for a nominal payment
- trial of multimillion-dollar dispute concerning break-up of real estate partnership comprising dozens of properties
- international arbitration on behalf of leading generic drug company against Indian contract manufacturer ending in multimillion-dollar settlement in favor of client
- defense of multimillion-dollar claim against major credit card processor by terminated merchant, resulting in court’s granting motion to dismiss all claims with prejudice.
- Villanova University School of Law (J.D., 1986)
- Villanova University (B.A., with honors, 1983)
- Pennsylvania Bar Association (Judicial Administration Committee)
- American Bar Association
- Philadelphia Bar Association (Federal Courts Committee)
BOARD OF DIRECTORS :
- The Rock School (former)
- United Way of Southeastern Pennsylvania (former)
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
Rate : $$$