Giovanna Weller is a partner in Carmody Torrance Sandak & Hennessey’s Litigation Group. She is co-chair of the Labor and Employment Subgroup and leads the firm’s employment litigation practice. Giovanna is a trial lawyer and has over 20 years of experience in counseling CEOs, senior management, and boards of directors of public and private businesses of all sizes.
Described in Chambers USA as “a great trial attorney – tenacious and confidence-inspiring,” and “highly recommended for her trial work on employment matters,” Giovanna has successfully defended many significant employment cases in federal and state courts, including discrimination, trade secret and non-competition claims, whistleblower, as well as numerous cases before the Connecticut Commission on Human Rights and Opportunities and the federal Equal Employment Opportunities Commission.
She has successfully argued appeals before the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, the Connecticut Supreme Court and the Connecticut Appellate Court. Her clients include large and small employers, manufacturers, schools, utilities, and insurers. Giovanna regularly trains management personnel on a wide variety of employment related topics.
As a member of the education law team, Giovanna advises heads of schools, educational institutions and their trustees on legal issues of particular interest educational institutions, including employment, governance and litigation matters.
She is also a member of the firm’s product liability team and defends product liability cases in both state and federal courts through the United States. She has represented a broad range of clients on matters alleging product defect, personal injury and property damage.
- Fellow, American Bar Association
- Fellow, Connecticut Bar Association
- Member, Connecticut Supreme Court Historical Society
- Connecticut Bar Association, Labor and Employment Section
- Waterbury Bar Association
- Board of Trustees, Independent Day School, 2006-2015
- Board of Directors, Midstate Medical Center, 2012-2015
- Member, Connecticut Women’s Council
- Board of Directors, United Way of Greater Waterbury, 2002-2011
- University of Connecticut School of Law, J.D., 1991 ~ with honors
- University of Connecticut, B.A., 1987 ~ cum laude
Rate : $$$