Giovanni Angles focuses his practice on international arbitration and complex business litigation. He represents individuals, corporations and sovereign governments in international commercial and investment treaty arbitrations under major arbitration rules.
He has experience in all phases of litigation, from pre-suit investigations through final adjudication, including trial work.
He has represented clients in a range of industries, including luxury consumer goods, hospitality, banking and financial services, food and beverage, and technology and telecommunications.
Before becoming an attorney, Giovanni worked for Bellsouth Communications and AT&T, and while there worked as a special services liaison between hurricane-affected customers and FEMA. Before joining Shook, he was an associate at Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner in Miami.
- Represented Barbados investor in ICSID (World Bank) arbitration against the Venezuelan government involving claims under the Barbados-Venezuela bilateral investment treaty, related to expropriation of hotels and tourism-related assets with claims exceeding $400 million.
- Represented the Government of the Dominican Republic in an UNCITRAL investor-state dispute involving the real estate sector.
- Represented financial services investors in parallel ICSID and UNCITRAL (Permanent Court of Arbitration) investor-state proceedings against the Republic of Colombia.
- Represented Panamanian company in ICDR arbitration with Canadian entertainment company involving rights to sale and use of entertainment technology throughout Latin America.
- Represented U.S. investor in ICDR arbitration concerning a Jamaican joint venture in the technology industry.
- Represented British Virgin Islands companies in federal litigation against the Republic of Ecuador concerning a $1 billion asset expropriation.
- Represented a Panamanian company in vacatur proceedings pursuant to the New York Convention in the Southern District of Florida.
- Represented U.S. aerospace defense company subject to a subpoena in the Southern District of Florida and advised on confidentiality issues related to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and the U.S. Arms Export Control Act.
- Represented a financial institution in negligence action in Florida state court involving liability for latent environmental issues in connection with real estate mortgage.
- Represented consumer products manufacturer in the Middle District of Florida for breach of contract in connection with a stock purchase and settlement agreement executed prior to a corporate buyout.
- Represented luxury goods manufacturer in international arbitration under the Uniform Domain-Name Dispute-Resolution Policy (UDRP) and the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), to defend its trademark rights where foreign infringers were held to be cybersquatters and the improper domain names were seized.
- Represented an indigent mother in a federal bench trial in the Northern District of Illinois under the Hague Convention of the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction, ultimately negotiating a favorable post-trial settlement that won the client custody of her daughters.
- Represented an indigent father in federal court proceedings in the Northern District of Georgia under the Hague Convention of the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction, resulting in an order reestablishing his custodial rights by enforcing the foreign court’s jurisdiction in our client’s favor.
- Deposed two federal ICE agents in a class action lawsuit alleging constitutional civil rights violations due to improperly issued immigration detainers, and co-authored briefs to successfully certify the class.
- Advised on choice of law issues and led factual investigation of more than 200 alleged false statements in a defamation and disparagement suit in South Dakota state court against ABC News and others, seeking more than $1 billion in actual and statutory damages for a beef producer.
- J.D., cum laude, University of Notre Dame, 2011
- Notre Dame Law Review, Note and Submission Editor
- 1L Moot Court, Outstanding Oral Argument
- Clerk, Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office, Felony Trial Division
- B.A., Florida International University, 2007 (Political Science)
- Vice President, Pi Sigma Alpha (Political Science Honor Society)
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- Cuban American Bar Association
- Notre Dame Club of Miami
- International Association of Young Lawyers (AIJA)
Rate : $$$$