One of the country’s leading representatives of onshore and offshore oil and gas producers on regulatory matters, Glenn S. Benson brings more than 24 years of experience and an uncommon familiarity with the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) to his role on the BakerHostetler national Energy Industry practice team.
He counsels clients across the energy industry on tariff and contract disputes before FERC, regulatory compliance and enforcement, and the negotiation of commercial transactions, including power purchase agreements, interconnection agreements, pipeline precedent agreements, asset management agreements, and oil and gas purchase and sale agreements.
Listed in The Best Lawyers in America since 2015 in the area of energy law, Glenn’s authority on nuanced litigation and complex energy policy issues has led to trusted positions advising and representing gas, electric and oil companies in every geographic region of the United States.
It has also inspired a high-profile caseload: Glenn handled one of the first offshore natural gas pipeline open and nondiscriminatory access disputes before the U.S. Interior Department’s Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement (BSEE).
- Representing merchant electric transmission developer in federal and state permitting processes, including both National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) and California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), for 900-mile, high-voltage electric transmission project crossing three states.
- Represented Millennium Pipeline Company in obtaining FERC certificate of public convenience and necessity for, and developing, 443-mile interstate gas pipeline to serve markets in New York and New England, including coordination with three companion interstate pipeline projects.
- Represented Alliance Pipeline in developing 886.8 mile, 36-diameter interstate gas pipeline through North Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa,and Illinois.
- Represented Petal Gas Storage Company in obtaining certificates of public convenience and necessity for, and developing, natural gas storage projects and a 59-mile pipeline header in Mississippi.
- Represents gas distribution companies, gas producers, gas marketers, independent power producers and power marketers in development and implementation of FERC compliance programs.
- Represented gas pipeline in FERC Office of Enforcement investigation of alleged violations of Section 7 of the Natural Gas Act.
- Representing Peregrine Oil & Gas in litigation before BSEE against offshore natural gas pipeline involving violations of the open and nondiscriminatory access conditions under the Outer Continental Shelf Lands Act.
- Represented power marketers in litigation regarding the Midcontinent Independent System Operator’s allocation of Revenue Sufficiency Guarantee costs.
- Represented refining and marketing companies in oil pipeline rate litigation before the California Public Utilities Commission.
- Foundation of the Energy Law Journal: Board of Directors (2005 to 2016)
- Energy Law Journal: Business Manager (2005 to 2016)
- Energy Bar Association
- Committee on Natural Gas Regulation, Vice Chair (2007 to 2008); Chairman (2008 to 2009)
- Electric Utility Regulation Committee (2003 to 2005)
- Generation and Power Marketing Committee (2002 to 2003)
- Finance and Transactions Committee (2003 to 2004)
- J.D., University of Virginia School of Law, 1993; Virginia Journal of International Law, Editor; Virgnia Center for National Security Law, Chief Editor
- A.B., Syracuse University, 1990, magna cum laude
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
- District of Columbia
Rate : $$$$