Glenn D. Pomerantz is a partner in the Los Angeles office of Munger, Tolles & Olson. Mr. Pomerantz has handled many high-profile matters, including many in the media, entertainment, and sports industries. Some of Mr. Pomerantz’s significant representations include:
- Steves v. Jeld-Wen: Lead trial counsel for private party successfully challenging a consummated merger; jury awarded $58 million in damages and court-ordered divestiture of acquired manufacturing facility.
- U.S. v. AT&T and T-Mobile: Served as co-lead trial counsel for the United States Department of Justice in lawsuit seeking to block AT&T/T-Mobile merger.
- Online Music MDL: Represented major record company in class action pending in New York federal court alleging price-fixing of digital downloads.
- Blockbuster: Represented major studio in antitrust action in Texas federal court challenging the revenue-sharing agreements between studio and Blockbuster.
- Transactions: Provided antitrust advice in connection with negotiation and government clearance of acquisitions of entertainment and media entities.
- Counseling: Provide ongoing antitrust advice relating to a broad range of issues facing entertainment, media and sports entities; also provide antitrust training and seminars and update antitrust compliance programs.
- LimeWire: Lead trial counsel for major record companies in copyright action in New York federal court against largest peer-to-peer service; obtained injunction shutting down service and a $105 million settlement after two weeks of trial.
- SoundExchange: Represented SoundExchange on behalf of copyright owners in Copyright Royalty Board proceeding to set royalty rates for webcasters.
- RealDVD: Represented six major studios in DMCA action in San Francisco federal court challenging distribution of DVD-copying product that circumvented copy-protection technology; obtained preliminary injunction stopping distribution of product.
- Other Litigation: Represented content owners in various claims arising from online piracy and in claims alleging copying of scripts, treatments, compositions and recordings.
- USA Networks: Represented owner of USA cable networks in dispute with co-owner alleging breaches of contract and fiduciary duty; trial in Delaware Chancery Court (settled).
- Royalties/Profit Participations: Handled numerous disputes with artists/talent claiming underpayment of royalties or profit participations; several of these claims involve application of pre-digital era contracts to sales and licenses of content in the digital era.
- Pay Television/VOD: Represented several studios in various disputes arising from alleged breaches of international and US pay television and VOD agreements.
Mr. Pomerantz was born in N. Tarrytown, New York in 1958. He received his A.B. Degree (with Great Distinction) from the University of California at Berkeley in 1980. He received his J.D. degree (cum laude) from Harvard Law School in 1983. Following graduation from law school, Mr. Pomerantz served as law clerk to the Honorable David V. Kenyon of the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California.
Mr. Pomerantz has received many honors for his legal work. Mr. Pomerantz has frequently been named by the Daily Journal as one of the Top 100 lawyers in California. In 2012, he was the only lawyer in the country named by Law360 as an MVP in two separate categories (Competition and Media & Entertainment). Chambers USA places Munger Tolles in its top band in California media and entertainment litigation, and has described Mr. Pomerantz as “particularly great at counseling on creative solutions to very complex problems.”
Mr. Pomerantz is active in a variety of professional and community activities. He has lectured on numerous topics, including antitrust, copyright, entertainment litigation, federal court practice and RICO. He has served as a member of the Board of the Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles (2001-2010 and served as President of the Board in 2008-2009), the Western Justice Center (2008-present and previously served as President of the Board) and Polytechnic School in Pasadena (2003-2012).
- Harvard Law School (J.D., cum laude, 1983)
- UC Berkeley (A.B., summa cum laude, 1980) Phi Beta Kappa
Bar Admissions : California
Rate : $$$$