Gregory T. Casamento is Managing Partner of the New York office of Locke Lord LLP. He is also a member of the Firm’s Board of Directors and Co-Chair of the Firm’s Business Technology Group. Greg’s practice focuses on business, commercial, class actions, antitrust, technology and financial services litigation and arbitration.
As an experienced litigator and trial lawyer, his experience includes litigating cases involving benchmark price fixing, securities law violations, Lanham Act disputes, trademark and trade dress infringement claims, unfair competition and false advertising actions, contract, trade secrets, non-compete and restrictive covenants disputes, and technology issues.
His practice focuses on bet the company litigations often involving complex issues brought against investment, commercial and retail banks, brokers, insurance companies, and other financial services companies.
Greg also has experience defending securitized trusts, including student loan trusts, in class actions cases that defend against claims alleging violations of bankruptcy discharge orders, seeking the discharge of certain debts, and for violations of the FDCPA.
In the technology side of his practice, Greg advises clients on a review of their e-business and e-process systems to ensure those systems create admissible and enforceable electronic signatures, contracts and records in accordance with ESIGN and the Uniform Electronic Transactions Act (UETA).
Greg also assists clients with their e-discovery, e-vaulting, e-contracting, electronic agreements, Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) compliance, information management, data security breach, risk management, IP protection and related issues.
Prior to joining the Firm, he served as a Judge Advocate in the U.S. Navy, where he was awarded the Navy Achievement Medal for his defense of service members in courts-martial and the Navy Commendation Medal for his prosecution of service members in courts-martial.
Representative Experience :
- Class Actions and Antitrust
- Defends clients in all types of class actions and anti-trust cases relating to financial service products, including student loan trusts, financial benchmarks, trading and related issues.
- Represents large financial institution in numerous class actions involving alleged manipulation of LIBOR and other financial benchmarks (EURIBOR, YEN LIBOR, ISDAFIX).
- Represents large financial institution in class actions involving alleged manipulation of foreign exchange (FX) benchmarks.
- Business Technology & e-Matters
- Counsels clients on all issues relating to e-records management, e-signatures, e-contracting, e-records, e-admissibility, e-vaulting and e-discovery in accordance with ESIGN, UETA and the rules of evidence.
- TRO/Preliminary Injunctions/Restrictive Covenants
- NYCB v. Pourro and Murphy, Sup. Ct. Nassau County, NY. Defended bank executives from TRO/Preliminary Injunction action brought by clients’ former employer alleging breach of restrictive covenants.
- BMC Software v. Sharpe. Sup. Ct. New York County, NY. Represented BMC Software in a dispute involving the breach of restrictive covenants and the theft of trade secrets by multiple BMC New York sales representatives.
- Trademarks, Marketing & Advertising
- Care Comm v. PBM et al., West. Dist. Ky. Defended PBM Products and others in federal trademark infringement action. Conducted depositions of Plaintiff and expert witness and motion for summary judgment, which resulted in the dismissal of the trademark infringement claims brought against his clients.
- Provides advice to a variety of clients on trademark and related unfair competition issues.
- Handles all areas of Advertising and Marketing issues and disputes.
- Administrative Proceedings
- New York State Dept. of Insurance. Representation of clients before the Department of Insurance on licensing and related issues.
- Secretary of Labor v. U-Haul, OSHRC. Litigated nine OSHA citations (repeat, serious and other classifications) and the corresponding fines, which were all resolved through a settlement agreement dismissing three citations, reclassifying three serious citations to other, and reducing the total fine paid by his client by over 95%.
- SEC Investigations. Represented parties in several SEC Investigations relating to allegations of potential misconduct by Financial Service Companies and their employees.
- Contract & Insurance
- Unity Management and Decter v. Select Ins. Co., Sup. Ct. N.Y. Co. Obtained dismissal of claims seeking coverage ($2.83 million), punitive damages and attorney’s fees under an investment advisors insurance policy by the insured company and one of its directors.
- Minnesota Life Insurance Company v. Wilmington Trust Company, East. Dist. of TN. Defended Global Fund House in a claim against an estate alleging that the purchase and assignment of several life insurance policies were ineffective. Global Fund House’s motion to dismiss was granted against estate.
Professional History :
- Member, Locke Lord LLP Board of Directors
- U.S. Navy, JAGC (1996 – 2000)
Professional Affiliations :
- Member, Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- Member, New York State Bar Association, Federal and Commercial Litigation Section, Intellectual Property Section
- Member, South Jersey Wrestling Hall of Fame
- Neutral, New York Supreme Court, Commercial Division Mediation Program (2006-2014)
- Board Member, Suffolk County Industrial Development Association
- Board Member, Suffolk County Economic Development Corp
- Command & Staff Diploma, Naval War College, 2000
- J.D., Boston University, 1996
- B.S./B.A., Boston University, 1992
- New York, 1998
- Massachusetts, 1997
- U.S. Supreme Court
Admitted To Practice :
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York, 2001
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, 2001
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces, 2002
Rate : $$$