Gretchen Woodruff Root is a senior associate in the Labor & Employment department of Seyfarth Shaw LLP. Ms. Root is a result-driven litigator and trial attorney who represents companies in complex employment-related and business disputes in a variety of industries, including financial services, manufacturing, energy, healthcare, and communications.
She is highly effective in leveraging her experience and financial background to develop and implement creative, cost-effective solutions to matter management. Ms. Root’s practice is focused on employment litigation, with a particular emphasis on the defense of wage and hour collective and class actions, complex litigation, wrongful termination cases, and non-competition/non-solicitation matters.
She has significant practical experience, including handling pretrial hearings, depositions, arbitrations, mediations, temporary restraining orders and preliminary injunctions, in state and federal courts nationwide. She also second-chaired two jury trials to successful defense verdicts.
Ms. Root also maintains an active counseling practice, partnering with clients to develop and implement preventative measures associated with wage and hour compliance, recruitment and hiring, performance management, discipline and discharge, leave and accommodations, enforcement of non-compete agreements, protection of trade secrets, reductions in force, employment and separation agreements, and implementation of personnel policies and procedures.
Ms. Root works collaboratively with in-house counsel and human resources professionals to understand each client’s business, culture, and needs which enables her to provide practical, client-focused solutions.
Ms. Root also is dedicated to the community, having served as the Chair and Emeritus Chair of the Sarah Heinz House Associate Board (an affiliate of the Boys and Girls Club), an ambassador to the MS Leaders Circle, a mentor to the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity Success in Law School, and a member of the Women’s Leadership Council for the United Way.
- J.D., Case Western Reserve University School of Law, cum laude (2010)
- Honors Legal Writing Fellow
- Research, Brief Writing, and Oral Advocacy in Dean Dunmore Moot Court Competition
- National First Amendment Moot Court Competition, Quarter-finalist
- Recipient of the CALI Award for Excellence: Trial Tactics; Financial Principles for Lawyers
- B.A., Allegheny College, cum laude (2003)
- Sophomore Honor Society (2001); President, Economics Society; Member, Student Athletic Advisory Committee;
- Kappa Kappa Gamma; Swim Team (2001)
Rate : $$$$