Hal Hicks is the global head of the international tax practice and a member of the firm’s Opinion Committee. Mr. Hicks’ practice focuses on a wide range of international tax issues for multinational corporations, partnerships and other entities involving both tax planning and tax controversy.
Mr. Hicks has broad-based experience, particularly in the areas of international M&A, foreign tax credit, transfer pricing and subpart F. He is a highly recognized and frequent speaker and author. Mr. Hicks has represented clients in a wide range of transactions and other matters, including:
- Sara Lee Corporation in connection with its restructuring, spin-off and migration;
- Valeant Pharmaceuticals International in its $3.5 billion merger with Biovail Corporation (Canada);
- Wynn Macau, Limited and Wynn Resorts, Limited in their $1.87 billion initial public offering and listing in Hong Kong;
- Schering-Plough Corporation with the tax aspects of its $41 billion acquisition by Merck & Co., Inc., a pharmaceutical and biotechnology company;
- BlackRock, Inc. in connection with its $14 billion acquisition of the asset management business of Barclays, and the post-acquisition restructuring and integration;
In addition, Mr. Hicks has represented clients in audits, appeals and otherwise before the Internal Revenue Service and the Department of the Treasury.
Prior to his government service, Mr. Hicks had been in private practice for many years, representing clients in planning and controversy on both outbound and inbound matters, as well as on U.S. matters.
- LL.M. (Tax), New York University School of Law
- J.D., University of Virginia School of Law
- B.A., College of William and Mary
Admissions : District of Columbia
- Member, Advisory Board, IRS/GW Conference
- Member, Advisory Board,International Tax Journal
- Member, Advisory Board, University of Chicago Tax Conference
- Fellow, American College of Tax Counsel
- Adjunct Professor, Georgetown University Law Center
Rate : $$$