Hal J. Leibowitz is co-chair of WilmerHale’s Mergers and Acquisitions Practice Group. He has previously served as chair of the firm’s Corporate Practice and as vice chair of the Transactional Department.
Mr. Leibowitz’s practice focuses on corporate and securities law matters for companies in the technology, life sciences and services industries, with an emphasis on mergers and acquisitions and public company counseling.
Representative transactions in which Mr. Leibowitz has served as counsel include :
- A wide range of merger and acquisition transactions, including acquisitions and dispositions of numerous public and private companies, tender offers, exchange offers and going private transactions
- Public offerings in the technology, life sciences and services industries for both issuers and underwriters
- Venture capital financings of technology companies in the telecom and wireless, software and services industries.
Mr. Leibowitz is a member of the American, Massachusetts and Boston Bar Associations and a member of the American Bar Association’s Section on Business Law, where he has served as chair of the Merger and Acquisitions Committee’s Market Trends Subcommittee and on the Editorial Board of the Committee’s Subcommittee on Public Company Acquisitions.
In addition, he has chaired the ABA Market Trends Subcommittee’s annual survey of deal points in the acquisition of public companies. Mr. Leibowitz is also a member of the Thomson Reuters Governance, Risk and Compliance Partner Advisory Board, a think tank that discusses pressing issues facing the legal industry and formulates solutions to help colleagues run more effective businesses.
- Representation of Thermo Fisher Scientific in the sale of its Anatomical Pathology business to PHC Holdings Corporation
- Representation of PTC Therapeutics in its acquisition of certain assets of Marathon Pharmaceuticals and its acquisition of Agilis Biotherapeutics
- Representation of Akamai in its acquisitions of Soha Systems, Bloxx, Octoshape, Prolexic, Cotendo, Speedera Network, Nine Systems and Netli, and in the divestiture of its Advertising Decision Solutions business
- Representation of a global institutional investor in the proposed merger of equals transaction between DraftKings and FanDuel
- Representation of The First Marblehead Corporation in its acquisition by FP Resources USA Inc.
- Representation of Skillsoft PLC in its acquisition by a new company formed by funds sponsored by each of Berkshire Partners, Advent International and Bain Capital
- Representation of Millennium Pharmaceuticals in its acquisition by Takeda Pharmaceuticals
- Representation of Eyetech Pharmaceuticals in its acquisition by OSI Pharmaceuticals
- Representation of Kadant in its acquisitions of The Johnson Corporation and Syntron Medical Handling Group.
- JD, Suffolk University Law School, 1985
- BA, Brandeis University, 1982
ADMISSIONS : Massachusetts
Rate : $$$$