Harvey Gurland, is managing partner of the firm’s Miami and Boca Raton offices. Mr. Gurland represents clients in general business and corporate matters, including class actions and shareholder suits, intellectual property, real estate litigation, healthcare law, franchise issues, trust and estates matters, products liability, and claims involving lender liability.
He also handles petroleum marketing matters. He is also a member of the firm’s Cuba Business Group. Mr. Gurland is former chair of the Petroleum Marketing Committee of the American Bar Association’s Section of Environment, Energy and Resources and a member of its Section of Litigation.
He is also a member of the Environmental and Land Use Law and the Trial Lawyers sections of The Florida Bar, and a member of the New York State Bar Association.
He has lectured on the subjects of the Petroleum Marketing Practices Act, premises liability and legal ethics. Admitted to practice in Florida and New York, he is a former judicial clerk to the Hon. Jose A. Gonzalez, Jr. of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida.
- Represented a former executive of a defunct resort and casino project located in Las Vegas against a $1 billion suit brought by a Trustee in Miami Bankruptcy Court alleging the client aided and abetted others in a breach of fiduciary duties that caused the project to fail.
- Represented the owner/operator of a luxury Miami hotel/condominium mixed use project against claims for mismanagement and allegations of decline in property values.
- Obtained a $2 million jury verdict following a two-week trial for a client that purchased a yacht from a yacht broker in Florida. The jury found for the client on its claim that the defendant negligently misrepresented the condition of the yacht.
- Represented a condominium association in an action against its insurer to recover for damages to the association’s high-rise building caused by Hurricane Wilma. Settled the case on the eve of trial.
- Represented clients in environmental assessment and remediation matters as well as in claims concerning “toxic torts.”
- Defended multiple cases for major oil companies arising under the Petroleum Marketing Practices Act, as well as claims concerning pricing of motor fuel and contract compliance in their relationships with distributors and dealers. Cases have been in federal and state courts throughout the United States.
- Obtained decision affirming dismissal of suit alleging that a private investment company violated Florida securities laws in connection with the plaintiff’s $4 million investment in a rock mine acquired by the investment company.
- Represented healthcare industry service provider in Medicare reimbursement litigation against a hospital. Dealt with complex calculations of allowable reimbursements under state and federal regulations.
- Handled arbitration of case involving Medicare reimbursement calculations and dispute over amounts owed relating to sale of hospital.
Education : University of Miami School of Law, J.D., 1979
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- Judge, Florida Bar Association’s annual Mock Trial Competition, Florida Bar Association’s Mid-Year Meeting, 2001-2008
- Organized 2001 Annual Meeting of the Petroleum Marketing Committee of the American Bar Association, St. Louis, Missouri
- Organized 2000 Annual Meeting of the Petroleum Marketing Committee of the American Bar Association, San Francisco, California
- American Bar Association , — Chair, Petroleum Marketing Committee, 1999-2001
- Organized 1999 Annual Meeting of the Petroleum Marketing Committee of the American Bar Association, San Diego, California
Rate : $$$