Heather Morehouse Ettinger’s strategic and focused approach, as well as her doctorate-level knowledge in biological and biomedical sciences, helps innovative clients conduct due diligence as part of their broader transactional and litigation needs. Clients trust Heather’s counsel on tough litigation and patent issues.
Heather focuses on intellectual property due diligence, transaction drafting, and patent counseling and procurement in the life sciences. She also provides due diligence studies and agreement drafting in connection with buy- and sell-side transactions for her clients, including large, midsize and preclinical pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies.
Additionally, she manages worldwide prosecution of numerous patent portfolios. Heather regularly counsels on Hatch-Waxman issues, biosimilars litigation and U.S. Patent and Trademark Office post-grant proceedings such as inter partes reviews.
She has extensive experience performing due diligence, agreement drafting, counseling and litigating on patent matters in areas including recombinant molecular biology, pharmaceutical formulations, genetically modified plants, enzyme and other large-molecule technology, and small-molecule chemistry.
Heather routinely works with the firm’s corporate team to counsel international corporations in preparing their intellectual property portfolios for U.S. cross-border securities transactions.
Heather is a registered patent attorney with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. In addition to earning her J.D., Heather has a Ph.D. in biological and biomedical sciences and a B.S. in biology. She regularly speaks at life sciences industry conferences on trends in intellectual property transactions.
Representative Matters :
- Served as lead IP counsel for a major pharmaceutical company in the complex negotiation and sale of the rights to the drug Maralaxibat for $120 million.
- Served as IP counsel for a major pharmaceutical company in the sale of its oncology portfolio, which totaled $2.4 billion.
- Served as lead IP counsel for life sciences investment firm in its $70 million purchase of RNA company preferred stock.
- Performed due diligence and transaction drafting for a major pharmaceutical company in its $5.2 billion acquisition of a pharmaceutical company that specializes in treatments for rare diseases.
- Performed due diligence and transaction drafting for a major consumer care company in its acquisition of a top-selling line of female health products.
- Carried out due diligence for a company’s acquisition of a complex patent portfolio covering genetically engineered enzymes in the biofuels area.
- Prepares noninfringement and invalidity opinions in the biotech and genetically modified plant technologies.
- Fordham University School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2006
- Harvard University, Ph.D., 2001
- Tufts University, B.S., summa cum laude, 1995
BAR ADMISSIONS : New York, New Jersey, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
COURT ADMISSIONS : U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
Rate : $$$