Helen Hwang is a member of Covington’s White Collar Defense and Investigations practice group. Her practice focuses on counseling clients through complex and sensitive internal investigations, investigations by federal and state enforcement authorities, such as the DOJ and SEC, and related litigation involving alleged violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, anti-corruption laws, and the civil False Claims Act.
Ms. Hwang also devotes significant time to pro bono work, such as helping families with adoptions, pursuing asylum for juvenile victims of violence, and helping victims of domestic violence.
- University of California at Los Angeles School of Law, J.D.
- Stanford University, M.A.
- Stanford University, B.S.
Bar Admissions :
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
Representative Matters :
- Conducted an internal investigation on behalf of a Fortune 500 company’s audit committee to assess the compliance of its China-based subsidiary with the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act
- Counseled a leading Medicare Advantage organization in connection with an internal investigation into alleged anti-kickback statute and false claims violations
- Represented a senior elected official in a federal political corruption investigation, which resulted in prosecutors declining to bring charges.
- Represented a multinational oil and gas company in multiple government investigations concerning environmental and worker safety issues stemming from an incident at one of its refineries.
Pro Bono :
- Represented a juvenile applying for asylum.
- Assisted multiple families with adoption proceedings.
- Volunteered at LACBA’s Domestic Violence Clinic.
Memberships and Affiliations : Southern California Chinese Lawyers Association
Rate : $$$