Helen M. McFarland focuses her practice on employment litigation and counseling for a broad range of California, Oregon, and Washington employers, professionals, insurers, and businesses.
She advises clients on the entire gamut of employment issues, including hiring and firing employees, avoiding harassment and discrimination claims, responding to leave requests, accommodating disabilities or claimed disabilities, ensuring wage and hour compliance, handling grievances and investigations, and drafting employee handbooks, agreements, and other employment policies.
Helen also trains supervisors and other Human Resources professionals in best practices. In addition to counseling, Helen has more than 16 years of experience litigating cases in state and federal courts, in arbitrations, and before administrative agencies.
She deftly handles all aspects of litigation from initial witness interviews through discovery, dispositive motions, mediations, and trial. She also assists employers in responding to complaints brought before the EEOC and the DFEH.
Helen earned her law degree from Lewis and Clark Law School, where she served as the managing editor of the Environmental Law Review and was selected by faculty to be on the Cornelius Honor Society. She received her undergraduate degree from Vassar College.
- Northwestern School of Law of Lewis and Clark College, J.D., 2001
- Vassar College, B.A.
BAR ADMISSIONS : California; Oregon; Washington
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court — Central District of California
- U.S. District Court — Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court — Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court — Oregon
- Pacific Coast Labor and Employment Law Conference Planning Committee
- King County Bar Association -Labor and Employment Section
- San Francisco Bar Association
- Edward J. McFetridge Inn of Court
Rate : $$$