Henninger “Hank” S. Bullock serves as head of Mayer Brown’s Litigation & Dispute Resolution practice in New York. He is an experienced litigator who counsels clients in the financial-services and life-sciences sectors. Hank has handled hundreds of complex disputes in state and federal courts throughout the United States at both the trial and appellate levels.
He also has significant experience in large multidistrict litigations, serving as liaison counsel for defense groups. These experiences have resulted in him being recognized by many prestigious publications, including Chambers USA, Legal 500, Benchmark Litigation’s 2017 and 2016 “Under 40 Hot List,” LMG Life Sciences’ “Life Sciences Star” list (2013-2018) and Law360’s 2014 “Product Liability MVP” list.
Hank provides defense against all types of claims for life-sciences clients, including product-liability, licensing and supply disputes. In the product-liability sphere, he has served as lead national counsel for brand-name pharmaceutical companies, devising strategy and coordinating the defense of thousands of lawsuits across multiple jurisdictions.
Hank also has extensive appellate experience in this area, having successfully handled cases before United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth, Sixth, Eighth, Ninth, Tenth and Eleventh Circuits, the Missouri Supreme Court and the Missouri Court of Appeals, the Iowa Supreme Court and the Iowa Court of Appeals, the Georgia Court of Appeals and the Florida First District Courts of Appeal. Many of Hank’s recent successes resulted in Law360 naming Mayer Brown a “Life Sciences Group of the Year” in 2017.
Financial-services clients, including major commercial and investment banks, hedge funds, broker-dealers and commodity-trading firms, rely on Hank to defend them in lawsuits, government regulatory proceedings and internal investigations involving securities, commodities, derivatives and foreign exchange products.
His representation encompasses customary disputes over regulated financial products, as well as highly sophisticated and unregulated structured finance-and-derivative transactions. Hank has been particularly successful in defending financial institutions and their officers and directors in claims of fraud or misrepresentation associated with the trading of complex financial assets.
Hank’s recent work for financial institutions has led to Law360recognizing Mayer Brown as a “Banking Group of the Year” in 2018 and 2017. In addition, Hank represents clients from various business sectors in complex contract and tort matters.
- Boston College Law School, JD, cum laude
- Northwestern University, BA
- New York
- US District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- US District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- Successfully argued a writ of prohibition seeking the transfer of venue for twelve pharmaceutical product liability actions before the Missouri Supreme Court.
- Successfully defended grant of summary judgment in a pharmaceutical product liability action at the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit on the issue of causation.
- Defended a major financial services company and various of its banking and broker-dealer affiliates against claims by monoline insurers alleging aiding and abetting fraud of various subsidiaries in connection with their sponsoring of residential mortgage-backed securities transactions and breach of contract claims in connection with the governing transactional documents.
- Defended a leading global bank against allegations that the bank helped a rogue trader conceal more than $700 million in foreign exchange trading losses.
- Obtained dismissal of more than two-thirds of all claims asserted against a leading global bank and alleging $500 million in damages from the purported inflation of the valuation of certain mortgage-based hedge funds.
- Represent a large mortgage-based hedge fund in all aspects of litigation arising out of the subprime mortgage crisis.
- Obtained dismissal of Florida blue sky and common law claims against a foreign currency clearing broker and successfully defended that ruling at Florida’s Fourth District Court of Appeal.
Rate : $$$