Henry Weissmann is a partner in the Los Angeles office of Munger, Tolles & Olson. Mr. Weissmann represents organizations operating in regulated industries in administrative proceedings, high-stakes class actions and challenges to government regulations. In 2018, Mr. Weissmann was ranked Band 1 by Chambers USA and was recognized as “extraordinarily knowledgeable” and for his “tremendous credibility among stakeholders involved in the regulatory process.”
Mr. Weissmann has participated in over 25 state and federal administrative proceedings, including representation of:
- Southern California Edison Company and Pacific Gas & Electric Company in legislative and regulatory matters pertaining to wildfires.
- Southern California Edison Company in proceedings before the California Public Utilities Commission in connection with the permanent shut down of the San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station Units 2 and 3.
- Southern California Edison Company in connection with energy crisis in 2000-2001. See SCE v. Peevey, 307 F.3d 794 (9th Cir. 2002); SCE v. Peevey, 31 Cal. 4th 781 (2003).
- Verizon in proceedings before the California Public Utilities Commission to approve acquisitions and dispositions of California landline assets.
- Verizon Wireless in proceedings before the Federal Communications Commission regarding the acceleration of the deployment of 5G facilities.
In addition, Mr. Weissmann has extensive experience in class actions. He has defended clients in over 25 class actions in jurisdictions nationwide, including:
- Plains All American Pipeline in class actions arising from an accidental release of oil in Santa Barbara County.
- Verizon entities in various class actions alleging inadequate disclosure of various billing practices.
- Verizon California in a class action challenging the inclusion on bills of charges from third-party service providers that were allegedly unauthorized.
- Actions alleging that early termination fees in wireless contracts are unlawful penalties.
Mr. Weissmann also is actively involved in the community. He is one of the founding members of the Los Angeles Lawyers Division of the Federalist Society and served as president of the local chapter from 1992 through 2004. In addition, Mr. Weissmann is a member of The American Law Institute of the State Litigation Advisory Committee of the National Chamber Litigation Center (the litigation arm of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce).
Mr. Weissmann formerly served as president, was on the board of directors and was a frequent speaker at the Conference of California Public Utility Counsel, a group of private and public sector lawyers who practice before the California Public Utilities Commission.
Mr. Weissmann is the co-chair of the board of advisors of the Los Angeles Metropolitan Debate League, a non-profit organization devoted to organizing debate programs at inner-city high schools. The organization and affiliates in other urban areas have met with considerable success, with participants exhibiting notable increases in test scores and rates of graduation and matriculation to college.
- Yale Law School (J.D., 1987)
- Claremont McKenna College (B.A., summa cum laude, 1984) Phi Beta Kappa
Bar Admissions :
- United States Supreme Court
- United States District Court, All California Districts
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Ninth and District of Columbia Circuits
Rate : $$$$