Howard Leventhal has significant experience in taxation issues related to the financial services industry and, in particular, the alternative fund space. He also counsels on fund and management company structures and financial products.Howard offers structuring advice for new fund organizations, as well as for existing platforms. He advises on matters related to management companies and those regarding high-net-worth individuals.
Howard has been involved with myriad issues encompassing:
- Complex partnership and corporate structures
- Matters involving public offerings
- Taxation of financial products and derivatives
- Foreign currency issues
- U.S. taxation of offshore entities.
Prior to joining Akin Gump, Howard was a senior tax partner in Ernst & Young’s financial services office and a co-national director of its asset management tax practice.Howard has authored Comment Letters and made formal presentations to the U.S. Treasury Department involving issues affecting the hedge fund industry.
Such matters have included tax shelter disclosures, credit default swaps and partnership allocation methodologies.Howard has acted in a significant leadership role as a former director on the board of the Managed Fund Association, and has been involved with numerous policy and industry issues.
- Previously served as co-national director of Ernst & Young’s Asset Management Tax Practice.
- Concentrates on tax matters affecting investment funds.
- LL.M., New York University School of Law, 1982
- J.D., Hofstra University School of Law, 1975
- B.B.A., City University, 1972
- New York
Rate : $$$