Howard A. Zipser concentrates his practice in the area of land use and zoning and has worked on many of the largest and most complicated zoning approvals in New York City. He has represented numerous prominent not-for-profit educational institutions and hospitals in their land use approvals and real estate developments, including major hospital expansions over the FDR Drive for the New York Hospital Cornell Medical Center and the Hospital for Special Surgery.
Howard also served as principal lawyer for hospital expansions which include the Mt. Sinai Hospital, Maimonides Medical Center, the Methodist Hospital in Brooklyn, and the Montefiore Hospital, in the Bronx.
Additionally, Howard has served as lead attorney for such major New York City developments as the Citigroup Center in Manhattan and the 50-story Citigroup Building in Queens and the Americas Tower Building adjacent to Rockefeller Center.
Howard began his career first at a major planning firm and then served as the Deputy Director of the Manhattan Office of the NYC Department of City Planning.
Howard was then a partner at the Rosenman Colin law firm and worked for 28 years with Samuel H. Lindenbaum who was considered the City’s dean of zoning law. Prior to joining Akerman, Howard was the Chairman of the Zoning Department at the law firm of Stadtmauer Bailkin.
Howard has been a lecturer on Real Estate Property Law at the New York University Real Estate Institute and has also lectured at Pratt Institute, Yale University, and Columbia University School of Architecture. For over 30 years he has served as a Director of the Citizens Housing and Planning Council, New York’s premier planning and oversight organization.
- LL.M., Washington University School of Law, 1968
- J.D., Washington University School of Law, 1966
- B.A., Johns Hopkins University, 1962
Bar Admissions : New York
- Citizens Housing and Planning Council, Board Member
- New York County Lawyers Association, Real Property Law Section, Zoning Committee, Past Chairman
- Member of the City Club of New York, Zoning Committee
- Inside Broadway, President
- New York Junior Tennis League, Past Vice President
- Board member of numerous non-profit housing organizations New York County Lawyers Association, Real Property Law Section, Zoning Committee, Past Chairman
Rate : $$$$