Hugh M. Ray, is a partner in Pillsbury’s Insolvency & Restructuring practice, where he focuses on complex reorganization, bankruptcy and commercial litigation. Hugh has represented publicly traded companies who successfully reorganized in bankruptcy and major creditors in their collection from complex bankruptcies.
He has been the lead trial counsel in several high-profile and bet-the-company cases. Though he has been board-certified in business bankruptcy law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization since 2005, Hugh works to avoid the expense of a Chapter 11 bankruptcy when possible.
REPRESENTATIVE EXPERIENCE :
- Represented Northstar Offshore Ventures LLC, in a contested sale hearing on the disputed purchase of substantially all of the assets (comprised mostly of offshore oil and gas rigs) from a bankrupt oil & gas producer free of alleged preferential rights. Pillsbury received an Atlas Award for the victory.
- Served as trial counsel for publicly traded oilfield technology company in sale of patents free and clear of $300 million in filed royalty claims. Won “cram-down” reorganization plan to convey patents without royalty claims.
- Represented a subsidiary of Sembcorp in the $14 billion bankruptcy of Seadrill and subsidiaries by successfully preserving disputed ownership rights over a new semi-submersible drilling rig, the West Rigel.
- Represented publicly traded oilfield service company in Chapter 11 proceedings (In re HII Technologies, Inc., et al.).
- Successfully defended Wyo-Ben at trial level and on appeal in preference suit against oilfield service companies.
- Successfully represented Creditor’s Committee by obtaining pre-briefing dismissal of appeals brought by debtor and secured lender.
- J.D., Vanderbilt University School of Law, 1996
- M.Div., Vanderbilt University, 1996
- B.A., Vanderbilt University, 1992
ADMISSIONS : Texas, New Mexico
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 3rd, 5th, 10th, and 11th Circuits
- U.S. District Court for the Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Mexico
Rate : $$$$