Humberto H. Ocariz has broad experience in both state and federal court litigation. He has first-chaired numerous trials and handled all aspects of litigation, including complex commercial litigation, product liability, contractual disputes, fraud and other business torts, intellectual property cases (trademark, trade secrets and patent-related claims), securities claims, legal malpractice, distributorship terminations, and international disputes and arbitrations.
He has also worked closely with foreign counsel in connection with foreign matters. Mr. Ocariz was selected to serve as an arbitrator for the International Chamber of Commerce International Court of Arbitration.
Mr. Ocariz served as a law clerk to The Hon. Alcee L. Hastings of the U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida. He also was an adjunct professor at the University of Miami School of Law, where he taught Business Litigation I.
- Representing various clients in arbitration before AAA, NASD and private arbitrations.
- Serving as an arbitrator with the International Court of Arbitration.
- Representing American Airlines in $60 million trademark dispute
- Representing DuPont in multi-million product liability class action.
- Representing Motorola in a multi-billion trade secrets/patent claim.
- Representing Boeing in an air crash case.
- Representing The Doctors’ Company in a $20 million legal malpractice action.
- Representing National Life Insurance Company of Vermont in $50 million ERISA class action regarding design and administration of pension plan.
- Representing Ace Insurance on behalf of various insureds in product liability and high exposure matters.
- Represented MAN Engine in $50 million termination of distributor case.
- Representing local school board in construction litigation and lien matters.
- Representing foreign business person in dispute seeking to invalidate transfer of $25 million into a foreign trust.
- Representing leading art dealer in a $20 million claim against a cruise line.
- Representing business person in supplementary proceedings to collect $30 million in judgments where assets being concealed and moved offshore.
- Representing developer in $75 million foreclosure/lender liability litigation.
- Representing city government in $15 million accounting malpractice claim.
- Representing food company in $25 million lease dispute.
- Representing Nortel Networks in $10 million termination of distributor case.
- Representing buyers of Fred Astaire Dance Studios in multi-seven figure securities claims against sellers.
- Representing foreign distributor in seven-figure claim against U.S. chemical manufacturer.
- Representing wife of NBA superstar seeking to invalidate prenuptial agreement.
- Representing Miami governmental agency in constitutional challenge to ballot language.
- J.D., University of Miami School of Law, 1987
- Order of the Barrister
- Inter-American Law Review
- Moot Court Board
- Sports & Entertainment Journal
- B.A., University of Miami, 1983 (Accounting)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- Marquis Who’s Who in American Law, 2018
- American Bar Association
- Cuban-American Bar Association
- Dade County Bar Association
- Florida Supreme Court, Supreme Court Committee on Standard Jury Instructions – Contract and Business Cases (June 2014)
- Southern District of Florida, Ad Hoc Advisory Committee on Rules and Procedures (2009)
- University of Miami School of Law, Trial Program – Business Litigation, Adjunct Professor (1999-2001)
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America, Mock Trials, Miami, FL, Quarterfinals Judge (1999)
Rate : $$$