G. Hunter Bates combines his knowledge of policy, process and key players to provide strategic advice to, and advocacy on behalf of, a wide range of clients, including Fortune 100 companies, trade associations and nonprofit organizations. Prior to joining Akin Gump, Hunter served as legal counsel and chief of staff to current Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell. In this role, he worked with members of the Senate and House on a wide range of issues, including appropriations, agriculture, health care, tax and civil justice reform.
During his time as chief counsel of the Senate Rules Committee, Hunter also advised Sen. McConnell on ethics and campaign finance issues.Consistently ranked by The Hill as a top lobbyist, Hunter is co-leader of the firm’s renowned public law and policy group, the only government relations practice to be ranked in Band 1 in Chambers USA, with commenters stating, “We can’t imagine working with a better firm or group of attorneys” and lauding the team’s “stellar lobbying offering.”
Hunter handles policy and advocacy issues involving:
- Coalitions and trade associations
- Civil justice reform
- Crisis management
- Campaign finance reform
- New policy development.
Hunter is a graduate of Harvard Law School, where he was chosen by his classmates to be the class marshal and deliver the commencement address. He also clerked on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit for the Honorable Eugene E. Siler, Jr.
- Co-leader of the firm’s public law and policy practice.
- Former chief of staff to current Senate Majority Leader McConnell.
- Provides strategic advice to, and advocacy on behalf of, clients including Fortune 100 companies, trade associations and nonprofit organizations.
- Repeatedly named among “Top Lobbyists” by The Hill.
- Helped to protect employee ownership plans during tax reform for two different large employee-owned companies in the south and midwest.
- Worked on behalf of a wide range of companies and trade associations to lower the corporate rate via comprehensive tax reform.
- Worked to promote and strengthen national prescription drug monitoring program.
- Advocated for strong free trade principles in NAFTA on behalf of a wide range of industries, including automobile manufacturers.
- Advised the nation’s leading business coalition advocating federal reform of the civil justice system to make it more fair, rational and predictable. Led a team that worked closely with the client in the early months of the 115th U.S. Congress to advance reform in the areas of class actions and asbestos litigation. Developed strategy and helped to coordinate information flow to key decision-makers in Congress as part of the successful passage of a reform bill in the U.S. House of Representatives.Provided counsel to one of the world’s largest providers of package delivery and supply management services on pension reform, tax reform and reform of postal inspection rules for shipments from foreign countries to help combat trafficking in illegal opioids.
- Chief of staff to Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell, 2000-2002
- Chief counsel, U.S. Senate Committee on Rules and Administration
- Campaign Manager, McConnell Senate Committee, 2002 (remove extra line space below)
- Legal counsel, Office of Sen. Mitch McConnell
- Judicial Clerk, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- Member, board of directors, Institute for Free Speech
- J.D., Harvard Law School, 1994
- B.A., Eastern Kentucky University, magna cum laude, 1989
- District of Columbia
Rate : $$$