Ian M. Comisky has more than 35 years of experience representing corporations and individuals in civil and criminal tax litigation, white-collar criminal defense, and complex corporate and commercial disputes, including :
- tax controversy work such as IRS administrative and grand jury investigations, Tax Court, Claims Court and District Court trials and appeals, jeopardy and termination assessments, responsible officer penalty and collection matters;
- corporate compliance matters involving the Bank Secrecy Act and USA PATRIOT Act and FATCA issues for financial institutions including banks, broker-dealers and mutual funds;
- commercial litigation focused on accounting and legal malpractice cases as well as securities and class action matters, all involving tax and related accounting issues; and
- corporate internal investigations for financial institutions and other entities, including claims under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
Ian frequently advises individuals on their U.S. tax and foreign asset reporting (FBAR and FATCA) obligations and has represented hundreds of individuals with undisclosed foreign bank accounts through the IRS voluntary disclosure programs. He also counsels individuals and corporations in civil audits and criminal investigations arising out of tax-sheltered investments.
Prior to joining Fox, Ian was co-chair of the white-collar practice at Blank Rome for more than three decades. Before that, he was an assistant district attorney in Philadelphia County, a special assistant U.S. attorney and an assistant U.S. attorney in the Southern District of Florida.
Ian serves as special projects chair of the American Bar Association Tax Section. He is a member of the Board of Governors of the Florida Bar, where he serves as chair of the Investment Committee.
Ian also serves on the boards of directors of the Citizens Crime Commission of the Delaware Valley, Historic Philadelphia, Inc. and the Madlyn and Leonard Abramson Center for Jewish Life.
He is also the secretary and a member of the board of directors of the Mann Center for the Performing Arts. Additionally, Ian is a member of the Brandeis Society, the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society, the Philadelphia Museum of Art and the Franklin Institute, among other local organizations.
Representative Matters :
- Represented the former CEO of a public company charged with securities/insider trading/tax fraud in a nine-month federal court jury trial.
- Served as an outside member of Board of Directors international litigation arising out of a bankruptcy proceeding.
- Advised an accounting firm in a malpractice litigation involving tax and related accounting issues.
- University of Miami School of Law (L.L.M.)
- University of Pennsylvania Law School (J.D.)
- University of Pennsylvania (B.S., magna cum laude)
- American Bar Association
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- Florida Bar Association
- Philadelphia Bar Association
BOARD OF DIRECTORS :
- Citizens Crime Commission of the Delaware Valley
- Historic Philadelphia, Inc.
- Madlyn and Leonard Abramson Center for Jewish Life
Rate : $$$