Ilana B. Gelfman focuses on appellate advocacy and critical motions practice. She has represented clients in a broad range of civil litigation, on subject matters including contract interpretation, business torts, employment, foreclosures, and federal habeas relief.
Ilana has drafted merits briefs and amicus briefs filed in both federal and state appellate courts, including the Second, Fourth, Sixth, Seventh, and Eighth Circuits; the D.C. Court of Appeals; the Maryland Court of Appeals; and the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court. She has successfully argued dispositive motions and appeals.
Prior to joining Jones Day, Ilana served as a judicial clerk at the U.S. Supreme Court, the Second Circuit Court of Appeals, and the District Court for the District of Massachusetts. She also worked as a Skadden Fellow at Greater Boston Legal Services and as the Francis D. Murnaghan, Jr. Appellate Advocacy Fellow at the Public Justice Center.
- Yale University (J.D. 2009);
- Harvard University (A.B. magna cum laude 2005)
- District of Columbia; Massachusetts;
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts;
- U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Second, Fourth, Seventh, and Ninth Circuits; and
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Law Clerk to: Associate Justice Stephen G. Breyer, U.S. Supreme Court (2014-2015);
- Judge Robert A. Katzmann, U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit (2012-2013); and
- Judge Douglas P. Woodlock, U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts (2011-2012)
- IBM defends software services agreement lawsuit brought by Pennsylvania Dep’t of Labor & Industry
- Eaton wins Sixth Circuit appeal
Rate : $$$