Ira G. Megdal concentrates his practice on diverse energy and public utility matters. Ira has vast experience assisting clients in the design, build, construction, and financing of energy projects. In addition he has prosecuted many public utility regulatory proceedings, including complex rate cases, mergers, and acquisitions.
He also regularly tries cases related to energy and public utility matters. Ira is past chairman of the public utility law section of the New Jersey State Bar Association, and is a member of the Energy Bar Association and the Transportation Lawyers Association.
Ira received his Bachelor of Science from Rutgers University in 1968, and his law degree from Georgetown University in 1971. He also received a Master of Laws in taxation from George Washington University in 1977.
- Represented diverse public utilities in base rate case proceedings for more than 40 years.
- Representation of South Jersey Gas Company before the New Jersey Board of Public Utilities seeking approval of the acquisition of the assets of Elizabethtown Gas for approximately $1.7 billion.
- Representation of New Jersey-American Water Company, Inc. in base rate case proceeding before the New Jersey Board of Public Utilities seeking an increase in rates of more than $130 million.
- Represented South Jersey Gas Company in base rate case proceeding before the New Jersey Board of Public Utilities resulting in a rate increase of approximately $40 million.
- Represented multiple electric generation facilities in a regulated New Jersey Board of Public Utilities proceeding involving a large New Jersey gas company and achieved a discontinuation of alleged discriminatory rates.
- Represented ACR Energy Partners in the construction and financing of a heating, air conditioning, and electric supply facility to service the Revel casino/hotel complex in Atlantic City, NJ, along with others. The transaction included an energy sales agreement, a bond financing secured by leaseholder mortgages and a pledge of the revenues from energy sales, and a net lease of the parcels from two landlords.
- Litigated leading U.S. case to establish the definition of “Public Utility.”
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 1971
- George Washington University Law School, LL.M., 1977
- Rutgers University, Newark, B.S., 1968
BAR ADMISSIONS : District of Columbia; New Jersey
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. District Court — District of Columbia
Rate : $$$