Irene Bassel Frick serves as the managing partner of Akerman’s Tampa office. A trial lawyer with experience in state and federal court, arbitrations, and administrative proceedings, Irene has a multifaceted litigation practice encompassing contractual disputes, class action defense, fiduciary duty claims, business torts, non-compete litigation, construction disputes, and commercial foreclosure litigation.
Her clients include employers, insurers, employee benefit plans, and third party providers; architects, engineers, and contractors; and developers, owners, lenders and financial services institutions.
In addition to her general commercial litigation experience, Irene has extensive class action experience in the context of contractual and commercial disputes as well as in the employee benefits practice area.
Irene also has significant experience in employee benefits litigation in general, including ERISA litigation. Within the context of employee benefits, Irene litigates claims related to retirement income plans such as ESOP or profit sharing plans and welfare plans, such as life, health, and disability plans.
Irene also assists clients in enforcing and defending non-compete disputes in the context of commercial transactions. With respect to her experience representing lenders and financial services clients, Irene has defended lender liability claims, and handled all aspects of commercial litigation including the enforcement of commercial loans and prosecution of commercial foreclosures, appointment of receivers, and bankruptcy and deficiency litigation. Within the construction context, Irene litigates defects, liens, and bonds
Active in the community, Irene is a past president of the Hillsborough Association for Women Lawyers as well as a founding member of the Pearl Society, which provides civil legal assistance to low-income and disadvantaged clients in the Tampa Bay area.
- J.D., University of Florida Levin College of Law, 1998, with honors
- B.A., University of Florida, Political Science, 1995, with honors, National Merit Scholar; Phi Beta Kappa Scholar
Bar Admissions : Florida
Court Admissions :
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- Hillsborough Association for Women Lawyers, President, 2013-2014
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Pearl Society, Founding Member
- Hillsborough County Bar Association, Member
- Justice William Glenn Terrell Inn of Court, Hillsborough County, 2002-2004
- American Bar Association, Member
- Federal Bar Association, Tampa Bay Chapter, Member
- Bay Area Legal Services, Cup of Hope Board Member
Rate : $$$