J. Aron Carnahan is the team lead of the firm’s Intellectual Property practice. A patent attorney, he counsels energy clients and others – from Internet startups to multibillion-dollar entities – on a variety of intellectual property matters.
His education in mechanical engineering affords a first-hand awareness of renewable energy operations and other technical industry matters. Aron’s practice has a heavy litigation component. He litigates trademark, copyright and patent cases for clients with diverse products such as noise canceling headphones, designs for tequila bottles and plush toys.
In the international arena, Aron has prosecuted foreign applications for U.S. companies, enforced foreign copyrights against domestic corporations and helped protect entities against gray market imports into the United States.
- Advised leading food service equipment manufacturer on patentability of new commercial oven technology.
- Represented designer/manufacturer of audio equipment in an International Trade Commission investigation brought by Bose Corp. At issue was the alleged infringement of two patents covering noise-canceling headphones that client imports from a supplier in New Zealand. Matter settled on terms favorable to client.
- Successfully defended pharmaceutical manufacturer in U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC) against competitor’s claim that generic drug was marketed unfairly.
- J.D., University of Illinois College of Law
- M.B.A., University of Illinois
- B.S., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Professional Associations and Memberships :
- Chicago Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
Rate : $$$