J. Carter Thompson, a shareholder in the Jackson and Memphis offices, leads the Firm’s Product Liability & Mass Tort Group and is the former chair of the Drug, Device & Life Sciences Industry Group.
Mr. Thompson concentrates his practice in the national, regional and local defense of products liability, drug and medical device, commercial and professional liability cases. He has more than 30 years of experience defending product liability and other claims and lawsuits across the United States and abroad.
Mr. Thompson has been lead counsel representing product manufacturers in more than 25 states from Hawaii to Massachusetts.
- University of Mississippi, J.D., 1984, cum laude
- Mississippi College, B.A., 1981, with high honors and special distinction
- Mississippi, 1984
- Tennessee, 2016
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of Mississippi
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of Tennessee
- U.S. Supreme Court
- National product liability counsel for major health care manufacturer and asbestos defendants.
- National counsel for defendants in Phenergan®/promethazine HCI injection litigation; obtained numerous summary judgments and dismissals.
- Served as lead counsel for a defendant in talcum powder litigation.
- Served as national counsel for defendants in asbestos litigation.
- Obtained numerous dismissals of cases as national counsel in phenytoin litigation.
- Represented the manufacturer of a dialysis product withdrawn from the market, and successfully resolved over 125 suits/claims worldwide.
- Served as lead counsel for defendants in Mississippi Average Wholesale Price (AWP) Litigation.
- Represented defendants in metoclopramide litigation.
- Represented defendants in digoxin litigation.
Professional Honors & Activities:
- Listed in The International Who’s Who of Life Sciences Lawyers (2014 – 2018)
- Listed in The International Who’s Who of Product Liability Defence Lawyers (2011 – 2017)
- Member – Product Liability Advisory Council (PLAC)
- Member – Lawyers for Civil Justice (LCJ)
- Partner – National Foundation For Judicial Excellence
- Member – Product Liability Editorial Advisory Board, Law360 (2011 – 2012)
- Member – American Health Lawyers Association
- Member – American Bar Association (Litigation Section; Torts and Insurance Practice Section)
- Graduate – International Association of Defense Counsel Trial Academy
Rate : $$$