J. Douglas Miller is a registered professional engineer in the State of Ohio and a registered patent attorney licensed in the State of Ohio and before the United States Patent and Trademark Office, Doug understands his clients’ business, technology, and has the advocacy skills to help develop, manage, and protect their intellectual assets.
Known by colleagues and clients alike for the exceptional quality of his work and for making dry legal issues more interesting, Doug offers comprehensive intellectual property (IP)-related service. He regularly counsels clients from a broad range of industries in a variety of patent-related matters, including:
- Prosecution of domestic and foreign patent applications
- Infringement studies
- Freedom-to-operate studies
- Technology transfer
- Transactional matters
- Related IP matters
An innovative lawyer, Doug takes a particular interest in startups. He also frequently speaks on emerging technologies, such as blockchain and other general IP issues.
Prior to joining Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP, Doug was a founding member of Fraser Clemens Martin & Miller, LLC. Before practicing law, Doug worked as environmental manager and solvent recovery system manager for a chemical compounding facility, and a project engineer in the chemical process group of a global engineering consulting firm. In addition to Doug’s busy practice, he is an avid scuba diver, having completed several hundred dives all over the world.
- J.D., cum laude, The University of Toledo College of Law, Technical Editor. University of Toledo Law Review, 1999
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, The University of Toledo, 1990
Bar and Court Admissions:
- Ohio, 2000
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- United States District Court Northern District of Ohio
Rate : $$$