J.J. Harwayne Leitner has a multi-disciplinary practice representing tax-exempt organizations of all types and sizes, including private foundations, private operating foundations, public charities, supporting organizations, “friends of” organizations, donor advised funds, social welfare organizations, and trade associations.
She counsels on all tax laws pertaining to nonprofit organizations, including private foundation excise taxes, taxation of unrelated business income, private benefit and inurement, intermediate sanctions, and lobbying and political activities.
J.J. also has extensive experience with the New York not-for-profit corporation law and handling transactions for New York charities that involve the oversight of the Attorney General’s Charities Bureau.
As outside general counsel to many of her clients, J.J. regularly reviews and drafts contracts, both routine and extraordinary, and she counsels those clients on a wide variety of legal issues, including employment, real estate, intellectual property, and litigation matters.
J.J.’s practice also includes the formation of new organizations and obtaining federal and state tax exemptions; corporate governance matters; complex corporate transactions, including joint ventures, spin-offs, mergers, conversions, and asset sales; and nationwide state charitable solicitation issues including cause marketing and other fundraising transactions and methods.
- Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP, New York, N.Y., 2008-2014
- Holland & Knight LLP, New York, N.Y., 2001-2008
- Gilbert, Segall and Young LLP, New York, N.Y., 2000-2001
- LeBoeuf, Lamb, Greene & MacRae LLP, New York, N.Y., 1998-2000
Professional & Community Activities:
- Member, Diversity and Inclusion Committee, 2016; Member, Nonprofit Committee, 2016 – American Bar Association Business Section
- J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, 1998
- Award for Excellence in “Subordination: Traditions in Thought and Experience”
- Georgetown Journal on Fighting Poverty
- B.A., Mathematics, Brown University, 1994
Rate : $$$