J. Matthew Schmitten is an associate in the litigation and antitrust practices. Mr. Schmitten’s practice covers antitrust litigation and counseling, including advising clients on various matters related to mergers and acquisitions, investigations and litigation. Prior to joining Akin Gump, Mr. Schmitten was an associate at two large international law firms, where he focused on appellate and other complex commercial litigation as well as antitrust disputes.
As a former member of an Appellate and Supreme Court practice, he drafted briefs, reply briefs, motions, and petitions for certiorari involving a wide range of complex legal issues.Mr. Schmitten received his J.D. from Columbia Law School where he served as the Executive Editor of the Columbia Journal of Law & Social Problems and president of the Federalist Society for Law & Public Policy Studies.
While enrolled at Columbia, Mr. Schmitten served as a legal intern with the Department of Justice’s Antitrust Division, National Criminal Enforcement Section. He received his undergraduate degree cum laude from American University.
- Assisted in drafting petitions for certiorari in various cases, including recognition of a foreign judgment implicating the Moroccan royal family, a landmark Supreme Court securities case, a large telecommunications contract awarded by the state of Florida, and New Jersey regulations governing mobile transportation networks.
- represented shareholders in Starr v. US before the U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- represented an LLC before the New York Supreme Court Commercial Division in a suit involving a dispute among its former members
Licensed to practice in Georgia and Texas only and under the supervision of the partners of Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP. Application for admission to the District of Columbia Bar pending.
- J.D., Columbia Law School, 2013
- B.A., American University, cum laude, 2009
- U.S.C.A., 5th Circuit
Rate : $$$