J. Patrick Becker advises employers on benefits and executive compensation matters in corporate transactions and compliance matters, including ERISA and the Internal Revenue Code. He works with both public and private corporate clients on the full range of benefits, including employment agreements, cafeteria plans, health and welfare benefits, retirement and executive compensation plans, and severance packages.
Patrick helps guide employers in complying with rapidly changing mandates and with plan designs and plan terminations. He advises clients in the contexts of day-to-day counseling, M&A, and dispute resolution.
Patrick represents clients in the IRS error correction program (EPCRS) and the Department of Labor correction program (VFCP). Patrick also represents purchaser and sellers in M&A, private equity, and spin-off transactions. He has recently worked on significant transactions for Newell Brands, RELX Group, Flowers Foods, Inc., and the Southern Company.
Patrick serves on the Atlanta Office’s Diversity, Inclusion & Advancement Committee, the Firmwide LGBT Affinity Group, and the Washington and Lee Law Young Alumni Council. He previously served as a member of the board of directors of the Stonewall Bar Association of Georgia.
- Georgetown University (LL.M. in Taxation 2013); Washington and Lee University (J.D. cum laude 2012); Clemson University (B.S. in Financial Management 2009)
BAR ADMISSIONS :
- Virginia, and
- U.S. Tax Court
- Flowers Foods to acquire Canyon Bakehouse for $205 million
- Newell Brands to sell Pure Fishing to Sycamore Partners for $1.3 billion
- PHH sold to Ocwen Financial Corporation for $360 million
- Newell Brands sells Rawlings Sporting Goods Company, Inc. for $395 million
- Newell Brands sells The Waddington Group to Novolex for approximately $2.3 billion
- Southern Company sells Pivotal Home Solutions to American Water Works Company, Inc. for $363.7 million
- Southern Company to sell certain Florida assets to NextEra Energy for $6.5 billion.
Rate : $$$$