Mr. J. Scott Anderson’s practice is devoted to helping clients identify, protect, and generate value from their intellectual property rights. He has worked with leading innovators at global Fortune 100® companies, major research universities, and high-tech startups, all of whom recognize that intellectual property represents a valuable and powerful intangible asset for businesses today.
Mr. Anderson brings a unique perspective to intellectual property matters because he has many years of experience in both patent prosecution and intellectual property litigation, including high-stakes patent litigation. His practice also includes strategic counseling and pragmatic advice regarding patents, trade secrets, trademarks, domain names and copyrights.
Mr. Anderson’s patent practice includes patentability analysis, freedom-to-operate opinions, and infringement studies. For patent-related disputes, his experience includes licensing and related agreements, patent portfolio analysis, competitive threat assessment, and design-around alternatives.
A registered patent attorney since 2001, Mr. Anderson has extensive experience in drafting and prosecuting patent applications for mechanical systems, medical devices, electronics and software, and computer-implemented business methods.
He has prosecuted patent applications covering major advances in aviation electronics, aircraft surveillance and collision avoidance, microscopic technology, relational database mathematics, orthopedic surgery and fracture fixation, laser-projected displays, fleet monitoring, and logistics-related business methods. He also has experience with re-examinations, re-issue applications, and design patent applications.
Before attending law school, Mr. Anderson worked for five years as a consulting mechanical engineer. He designed mechanical systems including industrial process piping control and instrumentation, heating and cooling, industrial ventilation, and automated assembly systems.
- Georgia State Universty College of Law, J.D. cum laude
- University of New Hampshire School of Law, LL.M in Intellectual Property, Commerce and Technology
- Tennessee Technological University, B.S. Mechanical Engineering
- U.S. Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. Patent & Trademark Office
- Ballard Spahr LLP (Atlanta, IP Litigation Group)
- Alston & Bird LLP (Atlanta, Patent Group)
- State Bar of Georgia, Intellectual Property Section
- Atlanta Bar Association, Intellectual Property & Small Firm Sections
- Represented a local company against one of the largest sports equipment companies in the U.S., negotiating a favorable settlement and license agreement.
- Represented two inventors against one of the largest wireless telecommunications companies in the U.S. and its Fortune 500 client, driving the patent infringement litigation toward a favorable settlement and negotiating a long-term license agreement.
- Represented the second largest bank card processor in the U.S. in response to claims of patent infringement related to call center processing and software.
- Advised a publicly traded company on the protection of trade secrets in connection with a joint development agreement with a major vendor.
Rate : $$$