Jack Thomas is a seasoned trial and appellate attorney who represents clients in various complex commercial matters, including international and insurance/reinsurance disputes, focusing on professional liability coverage, foreign judgment enforcement, and disputes arising from financing transactions, mergers and acquisitions, and licensing agreements.
Jack has litigated cases in multiple federal and state courts, including international disputes with parallel proceedings, and has represented a broad spectrum of clients, including London market insurers, financial institutions and other companies, both U.S. and international, many of which are Fortune 500 companies.
Jack also has argued appeals in state and federal courts throughout the country, including in New York, Delaware, Illinois and Massachusetts, and he is licensed to practice in England and Wales. Further, Jack has significant international arbitration experience, including in relation to licensing and acquisition agreements and accounting disputes.
He has represented numerous clients in connection with the enforcement of foreign judgments, as well as in matters seeking provisional remedies, including the seizure of property and injunctions. Jack is also experienced in representing clients in energy-related matters.
Representative Matters :
- Argued and won, on behalf of the appellant, two appeals before the Delaware Supreme Court on class certification issues.
- Won an appeal in the New York Appellate Division on the appellee’s behalf of a decision granting a motion to dismiss various business torts; argued and won the client’s cross-appeal of the denial of one aspect of that same motion.
- Argued and won, as appellee, an appeal before the Second Circuit of a motion by the Republic of Argentina to dismiss the client’s petition seeking confirmation of an ICSID arbitration award.
- Argued before the Appellate Court of Illinois, First Judicial District, the appeal of decisions issued by the trial court concerning the interpretation of a settlement agreement.
- Argued, as appellee, before the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Appeals Court an appeal of a decision dismissing Ch. 934 and tortious interference claims.
- Represented an international gaming company in an ICC arbitration arising out of a licensing agreement.
- Represent a global petroleum and petrochemical trading company in multiple U.S. and international contract disputes involving the purchase or sale of biodiesel fuel, chemicals and other energy products.
- Represent London market insurers in the context of coverage issues in various professional liability matters, including in the architects and engineers, healthcare, legal malpractice, and technology and media areas.
- Advised a reinsurance company on a litigation strategy for a class action involving cost of insurance (COI) charges in life insurance policies.
Professional and Community Involvement :
- Member, International Bar Association; Co-Chair of Litigation Conference in New York, May 2012; Member, IBA Arbitration Committee
- Member, Federal Bar Council
- Quinnipiac University School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 1992
- Miami University, B.A., 1986
BAR ADMISSIONS : New York, New Jersey, Connecticut
Rate : $$$