Jacob Kaplan is a partner in Baker McKenzie, New York. He focuses on international litigation and arbitration, and has participated in several high-profile contract and financial services cases. Before joining the Firm, he clerked for the Honorable Milton Pollack of the Southern District of New York and interned for the Honorable Sonia Sotomayor of the Second Circuit Court of Appeals.
Jacob serves as counsel in disputes concerning contract, energy, investment, construction, commodities, financial services, insurance, and intellectual property, among other matters. He has appeared in state and federal courts as well as a variety of institutional and ad hoc arbitral forums.
- Columbia Law School (J.D.) (2002)
- Yale University (B.A. History) (1997)
- New York~United States (2003)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit~United States (2012)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York~United States (2015)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas~United States (2016)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas~United States (2016)
- Co-Chair, Pro Bono Group
- Successfully argued an asylum case for an Ivory Coast refugee in an asylum hearing in New York
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- International Arbitration Club of New York – Secretary (2010 to present)
- New York City Bar Association – Member and Secretary of the Arbitration Committee (2005-2006)
- New York State Bar Association – Member
- American Bar Association – Member
Representative Legal Matters:
- Successfully defended a leading financial services firm against claims filed in the New York Supreme Court involving a revolving credit facility agreement worth USD 2.815 billion.
- Obtained dismissal from the New York Supreme Court of claims for alleged theft and use of trade secrets by prominent technology company to secure wind and solar projects worth over USD 5 billion.
- Represented a nuclear insurance provider in several arbitration proceedings, including proceedings to address repair and replacement claims of over USD 2.5 billion and USD 900 million.
- Represented high net worth individuals in the division of assets valued at approximately USD 2 billion held in Swiss and Bermuda trusts.
- Won a motion to transfer a contract dispute action worth USD 32 million from a federal district court in Missouri to the Southern District of New York.
Rate : $$$