Jacob A. Manning advises businesses and individuals in a variety of business transactions, both domestic and cross-border. He drafts and reviews contracts, particularly those involving sales of goods, distributorships and licensing, and construction, vendor and service contracts on behalf of boards of education and other public entities.
When clients are negotiating a contract, Jacob also provides advice about payment, including guarantees and letters of credit. Should a dispute arise, he represents clients both before U.S. courts and in arbitration subject to international rules.
As a litigator, he takes time to understand what a client’s goals and needs are and where he fits into their business — whether protecting their rights or ensuring payment for goods or services.
He focuses a significant portion of his practice on construction law and represents owners — particularly public entities —contractors, subcontractors, and material suppliers in litigation, as well as during contract negotiations.
He also represents clients in international transactions and advises companies interested in obtaining trade financing. Jacob also advises businesses and individuals confronted with commercial fraud.
As a member of the UN Commission on International Trade’s Group of Experts on Commercial Fraud, he met with experts from around the world to discuss commercial fraud, and ultimately, he helped draft the “Indicators of Commercial Fraud,” which was produced to educate the commission’s member states and organizations about fraud. Jacob has also spoken in the United States and abroad about fraud.
- George Mason University School of Law (J.D., 2004)
- University of Notre Dame (B.A., 2001)
Bar Admissions : West Virginia, Ohio, Pennsylvania
Court Admissions :
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- West Virginia University School of Law, Appellate Advocacy, adjunct lecturer
- United Nations Commission on International Trade Law, group of experts meetings on commercial fraud
- West Virginia District Export Council
- HOH Share, Inc., Board of Directors
- Catholic Charities Neighborhood Center Advisory Council
- Leadership West Virginia, Class of 2016
Rate : $$$$