Jaikaran Singh is a partner and litigation lawyer with Foley & Lardner LLP. His practice focuses on representing clients throughout the United States in high-stakes business and commercial litigation and the defense of consumer and employment class actions, primarily in the retail, food and beverage, multifamily housing, health care, manufacturing and financial industry sectors.
Mr. Singh has significant experience defending class action claims brought under California’s unfair competition and false advertising laws, including claims for food and beverage product mislabeling, privacy call recording and false pricing;
and class claims for violation of the Consumer Legal Remedies Act (CLRA), the California Labor Code, the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), the Electronic Funds Transfer Act (EFTA), the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), the Real Estate Settlement Practices Act (RESPA), the Song-Beverly Credit Card Act and the Song-Beverly Consumer Warranty Act, among other state and federal statutes.
He also has substantial experience with multi-district litigation. Mr. Singh has succeeded in obtaining dismissal of class action cases, defeating class certification, and winning at trial and in arbitration.
Mr. Singh is a frequent speaker and author on issues relating to case management, discovery, class action litigation, and consumer protection laws, including California’s Unfair Competition Law and Consumer Legal Remedies Act Law (UCL), False Advertising Law (FAL), and the CLRA.
Education : Mr. Singh earned his law degree from the University of Iowa College of Law (J.D. with distinction) in 1998.
He served as the managing editor for the Journal of Corporation Law. Mr. Singh received his bachelor’s degree in political science and philosophy from Trinity University (B.A., cum laude) in 1994.
Mr. Singh is admitted to practice law in California. He is also a member of the trial bar and admitted to practice before US District Court for the Central District of California, the US District Court for the Northern District of California, the US District Court for the Southern District of California and the US District Court for the Eastern District of California.
Representative Matters :
- Represented national automotive parts and services retailer in state court false advertising consumer class action that challenged private label product labeling and in-store advertising. Obtained pre-certification summary judgment. This matter was handled prior to joining Foley.
- Represented a national hardware retailer in false advertising and CLRA state court class claims that challenged advertised in store and online discounts and promotions.
- Obtained early voluntary case dismissal based on month long negotiations. This matter was handled prior to joining Foley.
- Represented a global beverage manufacturer in product mislabeling class action removed to federal court under CAFA. Defeated class certification of Business & Professions Code 17200 and CLRA claims brought by consumers in California. This matter was handled prior to joining Foley.
- Represented a national utility billing company in proposed nationwide consumer class action for violation of California Business & Professions Code 17200, breach of contract and unjust enrichment for alleged overcharges, and unlawful fees. Removed case under CAFA to Central District of California. Defeated class certification of all claims.
- This matter was handled prior to joining Foley.
Rate : $$$