James G. Argionis has extensive experience and an impressive record of success as a business trial lawyer. His practice encompasses a wide range of business and commercial litigation disputes, including those related to restrictive covenants, product defects, breach of contracts, business torts, fraud, defamation, libel, slander, trademark/copyright infringement, unfair competition, franchise disputes, partnerships, corporate and limited liability company disputes, errors and omissions claims against a variety of professionals including insurance agents and brokers, securities brokers, lawyers and accountants, civil rights and employment defense, corporate investigations, including regulatory and criminal matters, and real estate related litigation.
Jim regularly represents clients ranging from sole proprietors and practitioners to large corporate entities and institutions, both in pursuing claims and in defending and trying lawsuits in various commercial litigation matters.
He has experience representing technology based companies, hospitals, medical professionals, insurance producers, law and accounting firms and individual lawyers and accountants, against claims and potential claims and with respect to subpoenas for depositions and records, administrative proceedings, criminal matters, and risk management issues.
Jim’s successful representations have involved winning cases through dispositive motions and at trial when necessary. He has litigated in both federal and state courts and at both the trial and appellate court levels. Jim also has significant experience prosecuting and defending temporary restraining orders/injunctions.
Admitted to practice in the state of Illinois, the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, including the Trial Bar, and the U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois, Jim has been involved in federal and state court litigation around the country.
Jim has served, by gubernatorial appointment and Illinois State Senate confirmation, as chairman of the Illinois Department of Employment Security Advisory Board. He has served in that capacity for three different administrations.
He also serves, by Mayoral appointment and City Council confirmation, as a Commissioner of the City of Park Ridge’s Planning and Zoning Commission and as chairman of its O’Hare Airport Commission.
He has been elected to several terms as a Chicago Public School System Local School Council representative, and has volunteered in the Chicago Public School System, District 64 School System, the Chicago Greek Orthodox Archdiocese, the American Hellenic Educational Progressive Association (AHEPA), and the Park Ridge Police Parent Patrol.
Jim received his bachelor’s degree, summa cum laude, from the Honors Department, in economics from Loyola University of Chicago in 1992 and served as a student representative on the Loyola University board of trustees. He received his law degree from Loyola University of Chicago Law School in 1995 where he served as law review executive editor and as an assistant Legal Writing/Moot Court instructor. Jim is fluent in Greek.
- Successfully tried a federal court case that resulted in a verdict in favor of our client, an international commercial real estate owner and landlord, against the claims of one of its major tenants in a prominent downtown Chicago commercial space, regarding allocation of millions of dollars of expenses relating to the tenant’s lease and use of the property.
- Served as part of the trial team that defended a multimillion dollar claim in federal court alleging violations of copyright law against an author and producer of a popular book and movie. The case was tried before a jury that returned a verdict in our client’s favor.
- Prevailed in a FINRA arbitration on behalf of a banking industry client facing a competitor’s claim that the client had a pattern or practice of hiring the competitor’s former employees and causing them to breach non-solicitation agreements. The arbitration panel not only rejected the claimant’s requests for a nationwide permanent injunction and monetary relief, but also entered an award of attorney’s fees and costs in our client’s favor.
- Successfully represented a national insurance brokerage firm and program manager in litigation arising out of a nation-wide insurance fraud scheme that implicated multi-millions of insurance premiums and several insurers and brokers.
- Regularly represent and counsel a major Chicago area academic medical center and various of its physicians with respect to depositions, trial testimony and subpoenas for records in medical negligence and other tort litigation.
- Represented a dental professional corporation with 25 offices throughout the State of Illinois with respect to all aspects of its practice, including the defense of claims and potential claims involving malpractice, employment, contract, regulatory and risk management issues.
- Represented a manufacturer in a product liability case involving alleged defects in electronic motors and as part of the defense of that case, prosecuted the manufacturer’s claims against a third-party defendant, a supplier of motor parts.
- Successfully moved to dismiss a defamation claim filed against our clients in the wake of a wrongful death action. We then won summary judgment on a malicious prosecution claim stemming from the same case. This result was affirmed on appeal.
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law, J.D., 1995
- Loyola University of Chicago, B.A., summa cum laude, 1992
BAR ADMISSIONS : Illinois
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. District Court — Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court – Northern District of Illinois Trial Bar
- U.S. District Court — Central District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court — Eastern District of Michigan
AFFILIATIONS : Hellenic Bar Association
Rate : $$$