James L. Bromley is Partner of Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP. Jim joined the firm in 1989 and became partner in 1999. James Bromley’s practice is focused on restructuring and litigation advice to creditors, debtors, strategic investors, and government actors.
Over the course of his career, he has been involved with the financial services, telecommunications, shipping, automotive, manufacturing, energy, mining, aviation and retail industries, among others.
Jim has played a leading role in some of the most high-profile restructurings around the world, and he has demonstrated a steadfast commitment to pro bono work. He has been recognized by the business and legal press, including The American Lawyer, which named him a “Dealmaker of the Year,” and Benchmark Litigation, which named him “Bankruptcy Lawyer of the Year.”
- Leading the firm’s representation of Modular Space Corporation in the restructuring of $1 billion in debt through a prepackaged Chapter 11 plan of reorganization.
- Leading the firm’s representation of Nortel Networks, Inc. and affiliates in their Chapter 11 proceedings, coordinating these complex cases with proceedings in Canada and Europe.
- Instrumental in designing and implementing the unique multinational sale process that resulted in the disposition of Nortel’s patent portfolio and its CDMA, Enterprise and MEN businesses, among others, through highly successful auctions conducted under Section 363 of the Bankruptcy Code and approved in the U.S. and Canada through multiple joint hearings. These groundbreaking sales generated over $7.5 billion in proceeds.
- Pro bono victory for LGBTQ rights in the United States that has helped inspire legislation to protect young men and women from the controversial practice of “conversion therapy.” The landmark 2015 jury verdict was handed down the day before the U.S. Supreme Court’s historic ruling supporting same-sex marriage.
- Columbia Law School, J.D., 1989
- Boston College, B.A., 1986
- New York
- New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second, Third and Ninth Circuits
- U.S. District Courts, Southern and Eastern Districts of New York; District of New Jersey
Rate : $$$$