James Cardenas is a partner in the New York office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Architects & Engineers Practice. Mr. Cardenas frequently reviews contracts for design professionals vetting them for unfavorable clauses and ensuring that the parties’ intentions are clearly conveyed by the language being utilized.
Contract reviews are performed in short form touching upon major categories only in a limited one hour review or can consist of complete review and drafting of entire agreements. Mr. Cardenas also participates in servicing a 24 hour telephone hotline providing quick answers and solutions to select Architects and Engineers who are covered by the program.
Mr. Cardenas also handles a significant number of construction defect claims against owner/developers, construction management firms, design professionals and general contractors throughout NY and NJ. Additionally, he continues to maintain a significant case load of various general negligence defense matters throughout NY and NJ.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Cardenas was an Of Counsel attorney to a boutique firm specializing in the representation of design professionals. This position involved representing architectural and engineering clients in defense of formal claims, as well as, pre-claim matters under a loss prevention program.
This program sought to counsel clients on early avoidance of risk through planning and to provide critical assistance to clients in navigating the pitfalls of potential liability once the initial signs of a claim became known.
Mr. Cardenas previously worked for the better part of ten (10) years as a trial attorney with a 50 attorney law firm defending corporate clients under their commercial lines and employment practices lines policies.
His case load included matters involving claims of product liability, construction site accident injuries, automobile and trucking liability defense, general negligence matters and the representation of management in defense of employee workplace harassment and discrimination lawsuits.
Mr. Cardenas also has extensive Appellate experience having briefed numerous successful appeals before the New York Appellate Divisions for the First and Second Department, the New Jersey Appellate Division and the New Jersey Supreme Court.
In 2003, Mr. Cardenas participated in oral argument before the New Jersey Supreme Court on a successful appeal dealing with the New Jersey Charitable Immunities Statute and the related common law rules concerning application of the doctrine to a qualified religious organization which is engaged in commercial or quasi-commercial activity.
- Rutgers University School of Law, Juris Doctor, 1997
- Arizona State University, Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, 1993
- State Bar Admissions, New Jersey, New York
- United States Courts of Appeals & Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- United States District Courts
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- Professional Liability Underwriters Society
- NY Bar Association
- NJ Bar Association
- Hunterdon County NJ Bar Association
Representative Cases :
- Moscato v. Sackman Enterprises and Eland Realty LLC October/2006 extremely favorable settlement agreed to by all parties while waiting for a verdict after completion of 3 week trial and 3 full days of jury deliberation.
- Mashriqi v. Kingsland Leasing Corp. August/2006 defense verdict with zero damages awarded to plaintiff who had made settlement demand of $500,000.
- GEICO v. US Fire Insurance Company April/2005 favorable verdict on a bench trial for claims alleging failure to properly cancel and/or non-renew a policy of insurance in compliance with controlling regulations.
- Benton v. 673 Realty Corp and S.L. Green Realty March/2004 favorable verdict on third-party complaint for contractual and common law indemnification against hospital tenant based upon terms of leasehold agreement with property owner.
- Some Highlights of Mr. Cardenas’ trial experience can be reviewed in articles published in the NY Jury Verdict Reporter November, 2004, August, 2006 and March, 2008 editions.
Rate : $$$$