Mr. James M. Chadwick is a partner in the Business Trial and Intellectual Property Practice Groups and is the Office Managing Partner for Sheppard Mullin’s Silicon Valley office. James’ practice focuses on litigation and counseling for media, technology, and online businesses, including patent, trademark and copyright litigation, media law, privacy and data security, and business disputes.
- Represented an international computer hardware manufacturer in multiple patent litigation, defeating a motion for preliminary injunction, and successfully obtaining a stay of litigation pending reexamination and invalidation or amendment of most asserted claims.
- Represented a video game producer in resolving a patent infringement dispute by obtaining a broad, irrevocable license paid for by an indemnitor.
- Represented a major beverage producer in settling patent infringement dispute prior to litigation, obtaining a license on favorable terms after providing patent invalidity analysis.
- Representation of clients in copyright and trademark, particularly in cases involving online businesses and technologies, news media, cloud service providers, and software distribution. Representative cases include:
- Successfully defended Mother Jones Magazine in a defamation and intentional interference action, obtaining dismissal of all claims and an award of attorneys’ fees and costs to the client.
- Successfully defended the San Jose Mercury News and Santa Cruz Sentinel in multiple defamation actions, obtaining dismissal of the actions and awards of fees and costs to the client under the anti-SLAPP statute.
- Successfully defended the Wikimedia Foundation, operator of Wikipedia, in obtaining dismissal of defamation and related claims.
- J.D., Santa Clara University School of Law, 1991, summa cum laude
- M.A., San Francisco State University 1985
- B.A., University of California at Santa Cruz, 1979, cum laude
- California Supreme Court
- California State Courts
- U.S. District Court for the Northern, Central, and Southern Districts of California
- Member, Board of Directors and Executive Committee of the California First Amendment Coalition
- Former chair and vice-chair, current member of Media, Privacy, and Defamation Law Committee of the Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section of the American Bar Association
- Member, ABA Forum on Communications Law and the Media Law Resource Center
Rate : $$$$