James T. Chudy leads Pillsbury’s global Tax practice and is recognized as a tax law authority by The Legal 500 U.S. Based in New York, Jim advises domestic and international clients on federal income tax aspects of mergers and acquisitions, spinoffs, bankruptcy reorganizations and business restructurings, corporate finance, securitizations, private equity investments and digital currencies.
He also provides strategic counsel to emerging companies and individuals. Jim is co-author of 788-3rd T.M., Stock Purchases Treated as Asset Acquisitions — Section 338, a treatise in Bloomberg BNA’s Tax Management Portfolio series, and frequently writes articles on tax matters.
REPRESENTATIVE EXPERIENCE :
- Represented a European central bank’s multibillion-dollar fund that stabilized a global bank and negotiated a unique IRS agreement regarding the fund’s tax classification.
- Advised Business Insider, one of the most popular business websites, in its $343 million sale to German media company Axel Springer SE.
- Counseled AREVA NP SAS in its internal restructuring and the acquisition by EDF of a €2.5 billion majority stake in AREVA’s nuclear reactor business.
- American Bar Association, Tax Section
- New York State Bar Association, Tax Section
- BNA Tax Management Advisory Board, U.S. Income Series
- J.D., Harvard Law School, 1984
- B.S., Mathematics and Physics, University of Wisconsin, Madison, 1981
ADMISSIONS : New York
Rate : $$$