James A. Deeken represents private fund managers in fund formation activities and in investments into a wide range of investment funds and preferred equity structures.
Clients look to James to provide valuable counsel throughout the life cycle of a fund, providing assistance as both a lawyer and business advisor focused on each clients’ larger business goals. His experience with fund formation consists of representing managers in the formation of buyout funds, growth equity funds, oil and gas and other energy funds, loan origination funds, opportunistic funds, real estate funds, fund of funds and hedge funds, as well as special-purpose vehicles, “funds of one” and co-investment vehicles.
- Advised a private equity manager in the establishment of three successive leveraged buyout funds.
- Assisted an energy fund manager in the formation of two successive energy funds focused on investments in oil and gas working interests.
- Assisted fund managers in forming tax-driven, drop-down structures in connection with the acquisition of cross-border assets.
- Counseled a fund of funds manager in the establishment of three recovery-oriented fund of funds and two successive opportunistic fund of funds with the ability to consummate direct investments.
- Represented a fund manager in a cross-border acquisition of a non-U.S.-based institutional investment manager.
- On behalf of a fund manager, handled the formation of a joint venture with an institutional investment firm to pursue a successor general partner line of business.
- Advised a nationally known real estate manager in forming an institutional hedge fund structure to focus on the hospitality industry.
- Represents private fund managers and investors in fund formation and fund management activities.
- Advises a wide range of investment funds.
- J.D., Vanderbilt University School of Law, 1999
- B.A., Vanderbilt University, 1993
Rate : $$$$