James Donnell is a partner in Baker McKenzie’s Restructuring & Insolvency Group in New York. Mr. Donnell has over 30 years of experience representing lenders, creditor committees, and debtors in bankruptcies and out-of-court restructurings. He is particularly seasoned in energy-related restructurings.
Mr. Donnell focuses on corporate restructuring and bankruptcy work, representing private investment funds, commercial banks and companies reorganizing under Chapter 11.
His work for these clients has consisted primarily of restructuring and bankruptcy matters, but has also included distressed mergers and acquisitions of portfolio companies. He also represents officers and directors of companies facing Chapter 11.
- University of Texas School of Law (J.D. with Honors) (1986)
- Rice University (B.S. cum laude) (1983)
- New York~United States (2006)
- Texas~United States (1986)
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Texas Bar Association – Member
- New York State Bar Association – Member
- American Bar Association – Former Chairman, Indenture Trustee Subcommittee
- American Bar Association – Former Chairman, Energy Business Committee
Representative Legal Matters:
- Represented secured creditors and purchasers of utilities and power generation assets, including: Boston Generating (Constellation), CoServ Electric (CFC), NorthWestern Energy (Harbinger Capital).
- Represented purchasers of assets in bankruptcy including: Taylor Wharton International (Worthington), Hovensa,( Bay Ltd.), Dune Energy (White Marlin), Crusader Energy (Carlson Capital), Linc USA (White Marlin).
- Represented secured creditors and debtors in restructurings of chemical plants and refineries, including: Agrifos, CIBRO Refinery, El Paso Refinery, Texas Petrochemicals.
- Represented commercial bank lenders in restructuring of agricultural companies, including: Allen’s Food (Rabobank and Wells Fargo), Imperial Sugar (Wells Fargo), Pope Vineyards and Renwood Winery (Rabobank).
- Represented ship mortgage lenders and creditor committees in shipping and drilling ship bankruptcies, including: Global Marine (Export Development Corporation), Great Eastern (Debtor), and Omega Navigation (Committee).
- Represented commercial bank lenders and creditor committees in transport and logistics cases, including: Conquest Airlines, Kitty Hawk Airways (Wells Fargo), Express One Limited (Committee).
Rate : $$$