James E. White works with the Firm’s Municipal Planning and Land Use Group focusing in the areas of land use and zoning, comprehensive planning, general municipal, administrative and constitutional law. In addition to his law degree, James has a master’s degree in Urban and Regional Planning from the University of New Orleans. He is Board Certified by The Florida Bar in City, County and Local Government Law.
He has extensive experience in negotiating and drafting development agreements, affordable and workforce housing agreements; concurrency-related proportionate share agreements; public-private partnerships agreements; and the drafting of various municipal ordinances related to land development regulations and First Amendment issues; military compatibility; the Florida Right to Farm Act; Areas of Critical State Concern; urban infill and adaptive reuse projects; and historic preservation matters.
James also has extensive experience in representing firm clients in quasi-judicial proceedings, administrative proceedings, land use litigation, as well as claims under the Bert J. Harris, Jr., Private Property Rights Protection Act.
Additionally, his experience includes advising clients on local government public records and meetings laws. James serves as legal counsel to various local government committees, boards and legislative bodies. He also appears before the Florida Governor and Cabinet, Cabinet Aides, Division of Administrative Hearings, State agencies and local government bodies on a broad range of land use issues.
Prior to practicing law, James served as both a private land use consultant and municipal planning director. He is certified by the American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) and lectures throughout the State on various planning, zoning, and land use matters.
- Michigan State University, JD, 2003
- University of New Orleans, Masters of Urban and Regional Planning, with honors, 1998
- State and Local Government Section of the American Bar Association
- City, County and Local Government Law Section of The Florida Bar
- Environmental and Land Use Law Section of The Florida Bar
- American Institute of Certified Planners
- American Planning Association
- Legislative Policy Committee Member for Broward County Section, Florida Chapter of the American Planning Association
- Member, National Trust for Historic Preservation
- Executive Board Member, Broward Trust for Historic Preservation
Rate : $$$$