James R. Ferguson focuses his practice on intellectual property, complex commercial litigation, and domestic and international arbitration. He also conducts domestic and international investigations for multi-national corporations. He has been lead trial counsel in patent, trademark, trade secret, licensing, class action, breach of contract and employment cases in federal courts and domestic and international arbitral tribunals.
A Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, Jim has also been lead trial counsel in many other commercial and white-collar criminal cases, including antitrust, securities, FCPA and Sarbanes-Oxley cases.
He has first-chaired more than 35 cases to verdict or judgment and argued more than 30 appeals in state and federal appellate courts, including the Federal Circuit, the Seventh Circuit and the Second Circuit.
Jim is listed as a “Band One” patent litigator in life sciences by IAM Life Sciences (2011-present), and he was selected by IAM 250 for inclusion in “The World’s Leading Patent Litigators” (2011) and IAM Patent 1000(2012-present).
Jim also maintains an active practice as a neutral in domestic and international arbitrations. He is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and a registered neutral with AAA, CPR, the International Center for Dispute Resolution, the International Chamber of Commerce (United States), the World Intellectual Property Organization, and the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce.
Jim is a Lecturer in Law at the University of Chicago Law School and an Adjunct Professor at the Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law and Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine. He is also a member of the ICC Commission on Intellectual Property and the US Council for International Business Intellectual Property Committee.
- Northwestern University School of Law, JD
- Indiana University, BA
- US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- US District Court for the District of Connecticut
- US Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Board of Directors, Ann and Robert Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago Research Center
- Lecturer, University of Chicago Law School
- Adjunct Professor, Northwestern University School of Law
- Adjunct Professor, Northwestern University Medical School
Rate : $$$