James Geiser is an associate in the firm’s Insurance and Reinsurance section. He specializes in complex litigation with a focus on insurance coverage litigation. James analyzes complex, high-exposure insurance coverage issues to provide time-sensitive advice to his clients.
In law school, James worked as a research assistant for the American Law Institute’s influential Restatement of the Law, Liability Insurance. During those three years he gained valuable insight into cutting-edge insurance matters, as well as an opportunity to evaluate coverage issues from all perspectives.
Now, James represents liability carriers in jurisdictions across the country in both pre-suit and litigation matters, including rescission actions, disputes over policy terms, bad faith claims, allocation issues, trigger of coverage cases, and choice of law issues.
These matters involve an array of underlying claims, including construction defect, serious bodily injury, foodborne illness, antitrust, lead paint and complex property damage claims.
James also has experience in sensitive professional liability defense and coverage cases and in analyzing international insurance policies for disputes involving foreign law.
Representative Matters :
- Counseled a client in a matter that resulted in a favorable settlement of a lawsuit between multiple insurance companies.
- Achieved summary judgment for a corporate client in a lawsuit concerning the terms of an employment contract.
- Drafted a section of an appellate brief guaranteeing a juvenile client’s right to jury sentencing when faced with life without parole (later reversed).
Professional and Community Involvement :
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D., cum laude, 2016
- Xavier University, B.A., cum laude, 2013
BAR ADMISSIONS : Maryland
COURT ADMISSIONS : U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
Rate : $$$$