James P. Gerkis is a partner in the Corporate Department with extensive experience in sophisticated U.S. and global corporate transactions, including mergers & acquisitions, capital markets, venture capital, media, real estate and restructuring transactions.
He has represented a wide variety of financial institutions, Fortune 500 companies and growth companies. James currently focuses on matters for clients in the technology, media and real estate industries.
Among other clients, James has represented iHeartMedia, Preferred Apartment Communities, Financial Guaranty Insurance Company, Oxford Analytica, Olshan Properties, the Creditors Committee in the chapter 11 cases of Westinghouse Electric Company, Lightstone Group, Neuberger Berman and Suburban Propane Partners.
James received his law degree from Columbia University School of Law in 1983, where he was a Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar and a Teaching Fellow. He did his undergraduate work at Columbia College, where (having been admitted without finishing high school) he received a BA degree in Political Science in 1980.
James has made presentations at numerous industry and bar association conferences and has authored many articles on different legal topics. James is the President of the Columbia University Club of New York, is active in other Columbia University alumni affairs and has been chosen to receive a 2018 Columbia University Alumni Medal.
James is on the Board of Directors of HABA-Hellenic American Association for Professionals in Finance. James received the 2017 Attorney of the Year Award from The Hellenic Lawyers Association.
- Columbia Law School, J.D., 1983
- Columbia University, B.A., 1980
Admissions & Qualifications : New York
- American Bar Association
- Section on Administrative Law and Regulatory Practice: Council Member; Co-Chair of Securities, Commodities and Exchange Committee; Vice-Chair of Homeland Security Committee
- Past Liaison Member of the ABA Task Force on Financial Markets Regulatory Reform
- Columbia University Club of New York (President)
- Columbia College Alumni Association (Board of Directors and former member of Executive Committee)
Rate : $$$