James T. Hultquist is the co-chair of Reed Smith’s IP, Tech & Data Group and focuses on intellectual property and complex commercial litigation, representing clients in trials, arbitrations and mediations throughout the United States. Jim has particular experience in technology and intellectual property litigation, including patent, trademark, copyright, trade secret and trade dress litigation.
He also advises clients on various issues relating to software licensing, software development agreements, and conflict resolution in connection with domain names and other e-commerce related issues. In addition, Jim handles a wide variety of complex litigation matters involving product liability, insurance coverage, broker liability and lending and leasing disputes.
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law, 1990, J.D.
- Illinois Wesleyan University, 1986, B.S.
Court Admissions :
- U.S. Court of Appeals – Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court – Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court – Central District of Illinois
- State Supreme Court – Illinois
- U.S. District Court – Northern District of Indiana
Professional Affiliations :
- American Bar Association Section on Intellectual Property
- Chicago Bar Association
- Licensing Executives Society
- Computer Law Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Martin v. Nintendo of America, Inc. (N.D. Ill. 08 C 1398) – Stayed pending re-examination of patent in USPTO regarding interface device for Wii video game.
- Red River Fiber Optic Corporation v. Verizon Services Corp., et al. (E.D. Tex. 08 cv 00215) – Represented Qwest Communications Corporation regarding their fiber optic telecommunications network; currently pending.
- Furnace Brook, LLC V. Playboy Enterprises, Inc. (N.D. Ill. 08 cv 4656) – Secured settlement for Playboy in a matter regarding electronic cataloging and selection of videos.
- Fotomedia Technologies, LLC v. American Greetings Corp., et al. (E.D. Tex. 08 cv 202) – Secured settlement for American Greetings Corp. in a matter involving electronic photo sharing
- EZ4Media, Inc. v. NETGEAR, Inc., D-Link Corporation and D-Link Systems, Inc. (N.D. Ill. 08 cv 3729) – Secured settlement for D-Link Systems in a matter involving streaming digital media.
- Dream Visions, LLC v. Planet 3, LLC (C.D. Cal. 06 cv 00372) – Secured settlement for Planet 3 for their design patent for playground equipment.
- Nalco Mobotec v. Alstom Power, Inc. (N.D. Ill. 09-cv-05195) – Represented Nalco Company in a matter involving the removal of mercury from the combustion gas of furnaces; currently pending.
Rate : $$$